What did you do with your Series 2 in January ???

Started by Wittsend, Jan 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TugboatTim

Quote from: Exile on Jan 18, 2024, 05:31 PMIf that is an Owen bulkhead, well done. :cheers

I ordered mine and paid the deposit at the end of June, with a six month lead-time.

That expired at the end of December, so I enquired about progress last week - and was told there is a further month's delay.

I am not too bothered as it is too cold for a while to paint-spray it, but I would be interested to know when you ordered yours Tugboat?

Hi Exile
It's been a while since the pub meets on Galleywood Common; how you doing.
Yes, one of Rob Owen's bulkheads there. Ordered mid-May. He has painted it so nothing to do but bolt it on - once I've painted the new Richard's Chassis but too cold in the workshop to make any progress now  :shakinghead 
Regards
Tugboat (was Tim Chilcott)
The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd

Peter Holden

I think Robert is a victim of his own success.  I am sure you will be pleased with your bulkhead when you get it Charles

Peter

Alan Drover

New battery fitted. I wondered if I was able to lift the old battery out of the tray as it weighs about 50lb but I got it out easily with one hand
The old battery was an Odyssey and I had that particular version because the terminals were correct for the wiring but I rang Tanya for a replacement and they told me that there was a long delay for an Odyssey but I found an Optima battery with the same terminal configuration and it was a lot cheaper. I ordered it from Tanya Thursday 18th and it arrived the next day.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jan 20, 2024, 10:29 AMNew battery fitted. I wondered if I was able to lift the old battery out of the tray as it weighs about 50lb but I got it out easily with one hand
The old battery was an Odyssey and I had that particular version because the terminals were correct for the wiring but I rang Tanya for a replacement and they told me that there was a long delay for an Odyssey but I found an Optima battery with the same terminal configuration and it was a lot cheaper. I ordered it from Tanya Thursday 18th and it arrived the next day.

Thumbs up for Tanya. First class service when I wanted a battery with reversed terminals late last year. YBX5096 Yuasa Silver High Performance Car Battery 12V 80Ah HSB096
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Dopey

https://www.lincon.co.uk/

They make them in the UK to9 fit your battery box, they look great

Alan Drover

Quote from: Dopey on Jan 20, 2024, 08:56 PMhttps://www.lincon.co.uk/

They make them in the UK to9 fit your battery box, they look great
Like yours the terminals on mine are on the inner wing side of the battery as it's negative earth so the battery has to be turned 180 degrees from the diagram in simonbav's post.
I've got accustomed to AGM maintenance free batteries now.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Craig T

You can buy the Lincoln / Shield classic batteries with the terminals in the correct position. One is a 241 battery and the other is a 242 battery I think, same thing, just reversed terminals.

Mine is negative earth, negative terminal at the front and the terminals are on the inside of the vehicle nearest the engine.

Craig.

Alan Drover

When I started buying AGM batteries the terminals were only in the position in my photo for negative earth and when 2 feed wires for the electric fan and layer the heated screens were added the wires were adapted to fit and now they're not long enough for the terminals nearer the engine. It works ok though.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

TimV

Made a new wiring loom to connect to the upgraded alternator a couple of weeks back.

Due to go out this weekend, so tested electrics – no charge light came up! I hadn't tried it since rewiring the engine harness. Investigated, and after removing the alternator, found the rear lower bolt was missing – leading to no earth! Must have fallen off at some time, and my working in that area disturbed the alternator earth - which was still held on by two bolts. Found a new bolt, and used self lockers. All OK now.

Dopey

Alan Drover

I see the hasp is like mine at the bottom so it doesn't get in the way when refuelling.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Good call although it won't stop low life undoing the bung at the bottom and draining it out.

When I lived in South West London I was regularly targeted. It got to the point where I only ever left £20 worth in the tank and had a bag of bungs on the dash for the next time it happened.

Thought I'd solved it when I changed my Range Rover to one with a plastic tank and no bung. No such luck - low life just drilled a hole in the bottom...  :thud

One night, we caught the lowlife... I'll say no more than after we caught him, he couldn't walk for a very long time and now he's serving time at His Majesty's Pleasure.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jan 25, 2024, 05:26 PMI see the hasp is like mine at the bottom so it doesn't get in the way when refuelling.

Yes, but every time I re-fuel, diesel foams out of the spout and drenches the hasp.
The pump cut-off is always too late!

Cue diesely hands when I re-fit the lock....

Adam1958

Today, I tried out the parts washer that's been cluttering up the kitchen all these years.