News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Dogs (big) in back of a SWB

Started by Hopeydaze, Feb 26, 2024, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopeydaze

Now I have switched from a Jack Russell to a full-on very active Dobermann I am wondering what people do regarding securing dogs in the back. My 88 is a station wagon not a pickup.
Do you apply the 1960s,70s,80s norm of saying its a Land Rover, so chuck it in the back, or do you go with a dog guard (is there one?) and some sort of harness.
For reference I bought a genuine 'load space protector' for my 2010 Defender.  It's the bees-knees, and should be for £300.
1964 SWB SW. Sold by Land Rover New York, I purchased it in West Virginia, when I lived in the US, brought back to England in 2001

Alan Drover

Dog Guard behind the bulkhead?
Your dog is a good anti theft device.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

whitehillbilly64

A long nose, long tail, short legged, Australian Terrier would be a better option!!!!

whitehillbilly

Bonnet-rouge

Bruce sits in the middle , harness and have a short lead attached to the spare wheel mount in tub .
The Earth is flat 🌎

Alan Drover

These are mine. They ride in the back. They make no attempt to climb into the front as they're trained that their place is in the back.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

island dormy

My dog likes riding up front.
  However she's not much of a guard dog.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

diffwhine

I reckon the censors should be checking out that first image... :thud
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Larry S

Winston's definitely a Rover mutt.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Hopeydaze

Thanks everyone; some good ideas which i will try out. 
1964 SWB SW. Sold by Land Rover New York, I purchased it in West Virginia, when I lived in the US, brought back to England in 2001

w3526602

Hi OT,

... but many years ago, I bought an "entire" Shetland stallion (£20) but had to
 borrow a mate's (Big Nebbie in DVL management) to get it home.

On vendor's advice, I climbed into the back of the Cortina, while the vendor and his mate picked up 'orrible 'ector, and threw him in the back with me. He spent the journey stamping his hooves on the bare metal floor, and shrieking into Barbara's ear.

Even forty years later, Barbara says the hair on the back of her neck stands up, when reminded of the event.

Hector was my first experience of crouching beside an unconcious Hector, holding his hind leg out of the way, so he could attack the "genitalia" with his scalpel. In the Swansea Valleys, vets expect their clients to "get involved" ... even with post-mortems. A neighbour's daughter was less impressed to arrive home, to find two blokes crouched over an apparently dead donkey, in the middle of her father's immaculate lawn. She enquired about the two "lumps of meat", also lying on the lawn, but lost interest, very quickly, when we confirmed her suspicions.

Richard

I sit in the middle, just like border-before-me Rakker always did, sometimes underneath the "glove box", most of the time on the missus's lap. I know this is unwise of Richard, irresponsible, imprudent, reckless, dangerous, inconsiderate, not to mention unlawful, punishable, reprehensible and unethical even, but it's sooooo gezellig... :cool

Izzie
'64 S2a