News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

Wiper blade position

Started by Bigdog, Mar 26, 2024, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Sorry not really sure what you mean, I have said what the wire colours are and it just plugs into the park switch on the motor

Alan Drover

Having found and successfully downloaded the series 2 Optional Parts List, the wiper/washer switch is the same as the Series 3 one.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

So do I need another switch

Alan Drover

As yours is ex military I don't know what switch was fitted initially. If you want 2 speed wipers then yes and I suspect the switch in my post #62 will do as yours is a suffix G.
There are 4 terminals on the switch and 5;wires going to it as 1 wire is for the screen washer pump.  If there's 4 wires coming from the wiper motor there's a possibility it's a 2 speed.
In my 1975 Series 3 it already had a 2 speed wiper motor already fitted but only a single speed switch so it was just a matter of connecting the wires to the corresponding terminals on the 2 speed switch with the extra wire being connected to the remaining one as there was a wire in the loom for the fast speed. I found it behind the instrument cluster just lying there. It's a pale green. Whether your existing wiper motor is 2 speed I wouldn't know.
Diagram 25 57 in the downloadable Optional Parts List shows the layout. It's on the website under brochures and manuals in the members section under Technical.
(If a computer idiot like me can find it, anyone can).
"Ça plane pour moi!"

JonB

Big dog, I've been reading through this thread and your pictures aren't helping.

First thing, the switch. It looks like Diffwhine has identified your incorrect switch, but it should be useable to operate the two speeds, but won't have the third washer switch.

We need to know which coloured wire on the new short loom goes to which terminal in the black plug on the end of that loom. Either use a multimeter on ohms or pull the outer sleeve off so you can visibly trace them.

I don't know the terminal positions on a single motor, but some one here will.

With that information we can work out which wire in the new loom needs to be live at the correct time.

To repeat, without knowing which colour does to which terminal inside the block, we're guessing as those colours don't match the originals.

Jon

JonB

Ok, getting somewhere,

Ignore the switch for the minute,

With your loom plugged into the motor,

1,Black wire to earth

2, green/red to 12v supply- motor should turn slow

3, disconnect green/red and connect blue- motor should turn fast

This will identify the three wires that control the motor itself. If this works on the two speeds, we can work out the parking which is the other two wires

Post the result👍 and we'll go from there

Jon

Bigdog

Hi jon, thanks for your advice and everyone's advice it's  a fantastic forum  , I will give that a try this afternoon

Bigdog

Update, I did as you said except I connected used no3 prong for live and when I connected green/red to position 3 and wiper went slow, then connected blue to no3 and it went fast, here is more pictures hope these help, I also have my washers working through a separate switch

Alan Drover

What 2 speed switch will you be using?
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

I have done the test on the one in the pictures that I bought as a 2 speed wiper switch

Wittsend

Bigdog

And what,  I don't understand your reply wittsend, I have done a part test as requested and waiting on jon getting back to me

Alan Drover

He meant does the switch operate both speeds. You could try the blue wire on spare switch terminals until the motor works.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Yes it works as per the test requested but haven't tried anything else as I wasn't sure what to do until I heard back from here

Alan Drover

What I meant was if you leave the green/red wire connected to number 3 switch terminal and connect the blue one to any of the others until the faster speed works.
"Ça plane pour moi!"