News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Winter project ???

Started by lurch032003, Oct 05, 2023, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch032003

This is a 12j diesel I got few years ago ran about sux months then wooosh it stopped , it sat in rear of garage been moved few times but now I'm going to attempt to fix it as other engine I fitted I presumed was okay turns out it wants to imitate a old steam train lol
So from pics you can see what I found once head was removed , heat spit broken and smashed into piston head , bent push rod and rust so it will keep me amused inside out of the rain and wind and keep me busy

Well I've added update pic of piston rod and replacement which is now fitted with a new piston head as one with it was wrong size so that all checked and fitted so now it cleaning engine block and oil pan prior to get it all painted I know why do it before I check it works it just how I like to do things so will post up any new updates soon .

cswagon

1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Boston109

That's great and I'm a little envious.  Theres something special about having a meaty winter project to get your teeth into. I've always enjoyed the deep winter months of being at my garage bench, radio on, a mug of tea (or glass of beer) and the chance to crack into something without the pressure of knowing I should be cutting my lawn or other such things.  I look forward to seeing how your engine turns out. 
1965 2a 109 RHD

lurch032003

Quote from: Boston109 on Oct 07, 2023, 01:56 PMThat's great and I'm a little envious.  Theres something special about having a meaty winter project to get your teeth into. I've always enjoyed the deep winter months of being at my garage bench, radio on, a mug of tea (or glass of beer) and the chance to crack into something without the pressure of knowing I should be cutting my lawn or other such things.  I look forward to seeing how your engine turns out. 

Well the head is far too damaged to repair but luckily I had choice of three exact same heads so just cleaning one up as had exhaust valve looking like a snake the cylinder head has eaten away and the valve rod tube cracked and can see some fractures . Will try add pics .

lurch032003

I've added more pics to my original msg above as can't see how to add to a reply msg pics so yes I have other engines all winter projects all of my 2:25 need overhauled they run but each smokes a bit more than others and still got anther 2:5n/a I think it a 19j still as need to get one out if them all running right to fit into Red Baron as engine on idle is great but under load looks like a steam train or old battleship creating a smoke screen lol so I always got something to keep me occupied over these wet months .

lurch032003

Quote from: lurch032003 on Oct 09, 2023, 07:43 PMI've added more pics to my original msg above as can't see how to add to a reply msg pics so yes I have other engines all winter projects all of my 2:25 need overhauled they run but each smokes a bit more than others and still got anther 2:5n/a I think it a 19j still as need to get one out if them all running right to fit into Red Baron as engine on idle is great but under load looks like a steam train or old battleship creating a smoke screen lol so I always got something to keep me occupied over these wet months .

Well git the piston out was a bit if a battle due to con rod being bent but patience got to point if cleaning the block up prior two new cid rod and piston to be fitted but I'm getting there 

lurch032003

Well been a wee while but here's an update so far ,the piston and con rod I got was wrong as it made the piston protrude by at least 5mm !! So time to remove and go hunt my man cave and garage yet again .
So about three days passed since my hunt but have now pulled a partially stripped engine out from under my work table/storage area and have removed both one and four pistons and con rods as when I went to remove one from the engine I'm working on I felt number four looked a bit worse for wear and wanted to inspect it's rings . So its rings were all fully in and once cracked and when I cleaned piston head saw what I think was a wee fracture so it's out .
So I also had to remove the timing belt cover due to the injection cog it too was fractured as I miss aligned it so when I tightened up bolt I should have checked so my own fault .
So engine is bolted to a engine stand and the front has no form of support and I'm having to undo crank bolt so ping , out bit angle iron drilled to upper bolt holes and then marked and drilled to engine stand frame so it secured from turning or dropping down .
I had to use an extension bar on the crank bolt and it was starting to bend and it then it gave in and I managed to get that off and pullys and bent cover .
So injection cog removed and replaced ,; checked belt it was in really good condition so have left that on and set all the cogs shafts to timing marks and refitted belt but won't put cover on yet till I fit the two pistons this week and will check and double check all is lined up before reassembly so I'm getting there slow but sure .