Bigdog

Is this a capstan winch and is suitable for a series 2a, thanks

GHOBHW

yes thats the aeroparts type, a D suffix, so perfect for 2As

missing all of the actual drive fittings though

Bigdog

Are they available but expensive

GHOBHW

yes you can get most bits. but yes its expensive unless you wait around for them to pop up on ebay and try snag a deal

these are probably one of the more expensive winches to own, should you break anything/not have anything

Bigdog

It's on eBay just now for £200 so far but ends in 2 minutes

GHOBHW

if you want all original bits, you'll end up spending 3x as much as the winch costs, if not more.

unless you do hang around and try find them bit by bit

Bigdog

Just sold for £321, I was tempted

GHOBHW

still not too bad of a price, not like they make them anymore.

just a lot better if they're as complete as possible.

I'm running these types of winches on mine. had to pay £50 for just the drive plate the other week, that was good second hand condition, anywhere else its £200+!

just hope you don't break the fairlead rollers...they're around £500+ for a pair these days for good repro ones. theres a pair on ebay for £180 at the moment, pretty busted up and welded in the past!

the best capstan winches though in my opinion :RHD

Bigdog

Yeah I would really like one on my series 2a 109, in no rush and will keep looking

GHOBHW

the fairey capstan winches are probably the cheapest to find and get bits for, if you aren't bothered on which type you have

Bigdog

But if I have a overdrive fitted then is it only the capstan winch that would work apart from 12v operated ones

Alan Drover

A bottom PTO will allow a drum winch to be fitted with an overdrive but a bottom PTO is virtually unobtainium and very pricey if it does come up.  A capstan winch is simply driven from the crankshaft pulley via a drive dog replacing the starter dog.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Ben2a

Quote from: Bigdog on Nov 09, 2023, 07:12 PMYeah I would really like one on my series 2a 109, in no rush and will keep looking
same but at the.same time I like the overdrive  ???

GHOBHW

you can run any capstans with an overdrive fitted, as the capstans run from the engine crank.

its just PTO stuff you can't use, unless you start going into crazy bottom transfer box PTOs etc as said above

not really worth it for anyone these days, as there is easier ways to go about using stuff