News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is the correct transfer lever boot?

Started by Talullah, Feb 19, 2024, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talullah

I am about to order some transfer lever boots from Charlesworth Mouldings and have just seen that they do 2 types. I need one for a 1960 Series 2 and another for a 1958 Series 2. Can anybody let me know which one would be the correct part for each vehicle. In the Land Rover Series 2 Parts manual it states 303821. See attached image (Part number 22 of diagram) so maybe that is the clue. Thank you in advance.

2DieselMan

The original shaped Transfer leaver boot is Part Number 303821, which is shaped so that when the Leaver is in High ration position the Rubber is in its formed non-stretched position.    I assume this as 99% os the time the leaver is in the High ration position.

The other shape is a later design, I don't know or understand why Land Rover came up with this design as it means that when the Leaver is in High ration position the Rubber is stretched into a non-moulded position.   This was ok with Original / Good Quality Rubber, like Charlesworth, but with cheap modern Brit Part rubber this shape Boot last about 5 mins before Cracking.

Personally I prefer the original shaped Transfer leaver boot is Part Number 303821

If anyone know why Land Rover changed the Transfer leaver boot shaped - I'd be interested to know why ????

Talullah

2DieselMan, thank you for your comment/answer.

diffwhine

Interested to see that Charlesworth Mouldings say this early boot went up to 1965. Is that actually the case? If so, I assume my Feb 1965 build one should have one..
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

biloxi

They may appear to be the same, but there are differences.
1 and 2 80" without spring.
3 Same fork as 1 and 2, with spring, shorter.
4 Wider fork.
5 Cranked
.W.

biloxi

On the right is a cheap low quality reproduction of an early one that only lasted about 3 weeks in daily use, but prompted Charlesworth Mouldings
to reproduce better ones. If you happen to come across a non Charlesworth one, don't be tempted by the lower price.
.W.

Old Hywel

Does the boot design depend on the heater fitted?  :confused
Later lever was angled back to avoid the flat heater, but I thought that was later than 65, and I'm not sure where the bend is on the lever.