News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Why?

Started by Peter Holden, Sep 13, 2023, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

Why when a diff pinion drive flange is rellatively cheap is the transfer box front output shaft flange so expensive?

Peter

diffwhine

One of life's great mysteries I think. They are different in terms of spline format. I can only guess higher machine costs, but the difference is massive.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Serious Series

Peter
Are you in need of one I believe I have a complete front output casing albeit off a series 3 vehicle think the output flange is the same you can have.Or I can remove the flange and send to you.
Will check for you over next couple of days.
Doug

Peter Holden

Doug, I am not in need of one just at the moment but I may be in the near future.  I do have a spare but it is in pretty poor codition and I think I might need to fit a speedi sleeve if I have to use it.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know

Peter

diffwhine

Basically the cost of the diff flanges is less than one shaft repair sleeve, so not worth repairing them. The transfer box flanges on the other hand absolutely need shaft repair sleeves for the reasons above. I can understand the rear flange with the handbrake drum mount being expensive, but can't understand the front ones. For the LT230 Box, you can buy the whole front or rear output flange, dust shield and seal for less than £30, so no idea why the very similar LT76 ones are so expensive. Unless there just isn't enough demand these days with shaft repair sleeves?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

w3526602

Hi

Why?

Because they can!

Serious Series

Got my all clear for my pacemaker today so back to driving pulled the landrover out and had a look for the front output flange eventually found it in my other garage here are a couple of pics of it.

Peter Holden

How much would you like fir that?

Serious Series

Cost of the postage Peter.
Send me an address.

Peter Holden

Thank you very much

Address sent by pm

Peter