News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Heater valve control cable

Started by Bigdog, Oct 06, 2023, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Do I need this for my 2 1/4 petrol, getting the wiring done and I was told I might need one, is it similar to a choke cable

diffwhine

They were fitted to Series 3 engines, but Series 2A engines had manually operated taps
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

So what do you think I would need, thanks

diffwhine

What is fitted to your engine currently? Lets start there and work backwards. Maybe a photo of the engine so we can see the coolant connections.

Bigdog

diffwhine

It looks like you have a Series 3 engine fitted with a front cable operated heater valve. If you want to use that valve from the cab you will need to get some sort of bowden cable (maybe a choke cable) which will allow you to operate it remotely. You don't need a cable - you can operate it manually if you want - just treat it like the S2/2A tap which would be mounted at the rear of the head.

Bigdog

So i assume a series 2a 2 1/4 petrol engine is different from a series 3 2 1/4 petrol engine, I just assumed they were the same

Alan Drover

The basic engine is virtually identical, it's the ancillary parts that differ.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

So where would this cable get connected to and is it operated from the dash

Alan Drover

Yes, on the far right of the binnacle on Series 3's are 2 levers that slide up and down. One turns the heater valve on via a cable and the other is for defrosting the windscreen and interior heat.
It's dead easy to fit the earlier parts like a manual heater tap to the later  engines. You'll need the relevant heater tap. Even a 2.5 petrol engine can be "aged." Mine has the correct Series 3 thermostat housing assembly to take the standard Series 3 cable operated heater valve like the one you have.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Dazzerpig

I have a series 2a with a 2.5 n/a engine, fitted with the series3 heater control valve and i think my memory serves me right i fitted a classic mini heater control cable,i know i had to nip the end off the cable but will get some pics up tomorrow for you.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 06, 2023, 07:23 PMI have a series 2a
The point I was making Bigdog that it's relatively easy to "age" a later engine to match the Land Rover it's fitted to.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Sorry Alan I wasn't having a dig I am just not sure what I need to do

Alan Drover

No problem. If you can get hold of a manual 2A heater tap it should fit where the Series 3 valve is.
"Ça plane pour moi!"