News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Its colder here

Started by John, Nov 29, 2023, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

It is getting colder even in North Wales, must be colder elsewhere, must put the spade in the back of the Land Rover for future use but not yet.

Nice view out of the bedroom window though-
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Ken

You just reminded me, when I was very young living in Toxteth Liverpool. From our front ground floor window I could see Snowden and it's white cap. A great memory as were the foghorns at night on the river.

Alan Drover

Who remembers the 1962/3 winter? I don't know how today's whimps would  cope with that if it happened now.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye in 1962, so probably qualify as one of today's wimps. That said, crossing Mongolia in the winter in a Defender at an average temp of -20 degrees Celsius takes some beating - as does trying to get through Serb checkpoints on Mount Igman in another Defender or my trust Range Rover in deep snow and similar temperatures.

Winter of '62 I know was exceptional for the UK. I somehow doubt we will see anything like that again in our lifetimes.

Or have I just done a Michael Fish on us?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

It started snowing heavily Boxing Day night 1962 and I had to go out in it. It snowed heavily for a long time and then stopped. The temperature remained well below freezing for nearly 3 months and it was only towards the middle of March 1963 when the thaw set in. I was in my mid teens and I still managed to get to school by train in the week and weekends were spent tree felling for firewood and feeding cattle. Standing knee deep in silage was a very good way to keep my feet warm.
The only 4wd vehicle was my uncle's Series 2 farm Land Rover and watching car drivers freeing their cars from being stuck in the snow taught me the art of "rocking." The last time I did it was in the 2010's and it's not easy with an automatic but I freed it unaided which makes a BMW the only make of car I have driven further backwards than forwards.
Not as cold as Mongolia so you're no wimp Diffwhine.
Edit. It was coldest in Braemar at -22C and the temperature hovered around -20C (-4F.)
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Exile

Quote from: Alan Drover on Nov 29, 2023, 07:43 PMWho remembers the 1962/3 winter?

I do!

I was too young to drive then though.

My family owned a Plant Hire business and all our Whitlock diggers were scattered around North Essex, shifting huge quantities of snow (I think I have some old cine film somewhere).

The problem of course was getting the drivers to the diggers each day, as it kept snowing.

My father persuaded a local farmer to take him, some men and some shovels through the drifts in his Series One diesel. But they were eventually defeated and had to turn back.

In 1968 I bought that same SI diesel as my first car.

I still have it today.....

Alan Drover

I've just looked at pictures of "heavy snow" in Devon. That doesn't define "heavy" at all. Schools were closed because of "safety concerns!" What a joke.this nanny state is!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

jonhutchings

Quote from: Exile on Nov 30, 2023, 06:46 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Nov 29, 2023, 07:43 PMWho remembers the 1962/3 winter?

I do!

I was too young to drive then though.

My family owned a Plant Hire business and all our Whitlock diggers were scattered around North Essex, shifting huge quantities of snow (I think I have some old cine film somewhere).

The problem of course was getting the drivers to the diggers each day, as it kept snowing.

My father persuaded a local farmer to take him, some men and some shovels through the drifts in his Series One diesel. But they were eventually defeated and had to turn back.

In 1968 I bought that same SI diesel as my first car.

I still have it today.....

I know this is the series 2 club, but that needs a photo, especially if it's still a 2ltr diesel in it
Jon (fellow 2ltr S1 diesel owner)

Alan Drover

About 29F outside this morning. Although the Series 3 has heated windscreens I sprayed de icer as I wasn't in a hurry. I had to de ice the headlights because LED bulbs don't generate heat. It started up ok and I set the hand throttle on the 3rd notch then switched the heated windscreens on.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

Do you remember there was a short very cold snap in about 1982. I started my S3 diesel when the local weather station at Pershore was -23C. I had the heaters on for about 5 mins and the cranking speed was very slow. IT just started firing but would not self sustain so I kept cranking for about another 30 secs or so.  Mine was one of only two vehicles ( petrol or diesel ) that started on their own,  in the village and spent the rest of the morning getting other peoples car started . Kettle of boiling water over the inlet manifold worked well.

w3526602

Hi,

Would one of those emergency starter packs have enough grunt to have turned your engine ... followed by all your neigbours?

Circa £40 to £50. Barbara has started her annual nag about what I want for Christmas. But would I ever use it? I'm guessing a few of my neighbours would be grateful. The frost on my screen this morning turned my thoughts to pre-heating the coolant, but it's been many years since I saw a pre- or overnight -heater being advertised.

A very cold battery can lose a lot of its cranking power. Hmmmm!

William

Quote from: autorover1 on Dec 02, 2023, 11:14 AMDo you remember there was a short very cold snap in about 1982. I started my S3 diesel when the local weather station at Pershore was -23C. I had the heaters on for about 5 mins and the cranking speed was very slow. IT just started firing but would not self sustain so I kept cranking for about another 30 secs or so.  Mine was one of only two vehicles ( petrol or diesel ) that started on their own,  in the village and spent the rest of the morning getting other peoples car started . Kettle of boiling water over the inlet manifold worked well.

I remember that cold snap - lived in Catterick at the time and remember the A1 being littered with trucks whose diesel had waxed with the cold...

autorover1

Yes mine waxed up after about 15 mins running. Got out the propane torch & heated the bottom of the steel tank & poured boiling water over the filter. It restarted and then there was then enough heat in the system & under the bonnet ( Rad. blanked) to allow it to keep running. Most of the petrol engines had flooded  the combustion chamber & run the battery flat, remember most still had manual chokes. The hot water poured over the inlet manifold produced a mixture that would ignite & away it would go using the jump leads.   

andyjb

Before my time the winter of 62/63 But somewhere I've photographs passed down to me of snow to the tops of telegraph pole's around Tockholes area i think.

Beowulf

Quote from: Alan Drover on Nov 30, 2023, 10:35 PMI've just looked at pictures of "heavy snow" in Devon. That doesn't define "heavy" at all. Schools were closed because of "safety concerns!" What a joke.this nanny state is!
One definition of heavy snow, this photo of the 62/63 winter. I posted this on the old forum.
Although only 7 at the time, I remember we had great fun  :snowman . Stuck out in the middle of the countryside, the school coach couldn`t get out to us. Not great fun was my freezing bedroom where multi layers were essential, character building.

I agree with your sentiments about the nanny state AlanD. 70 years ago life was hard for many and families, being far less dependant on the State, had to rely on their own ingenuity, cunning and improvisations (food rationing ended only 8 years earlier). Mother had a weekly "Family Allowance" payment, which I cycled 3 miles to collect every Tuesday after school (I was allowed to spend threpence on sweets).

In my opinion, we were, and had to be, resilient.

Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare