News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Its colder here

Started by John, Nov 29, 2023, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

During the winter of 63 I slept with the bedroom window wide open. I got severely reprimanded because the water pipes in my bedroom froze. Fortunately they didn't burst.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Peter Holden

I remember the 62/63 winter.  I was 12 and o can remember having to walk to school in Sheffield.  The buses didn't run for days and there was black snow piled at the side of the road for 3 months.  Alan Drover I remember it well all thse years later.

We have switched our vehicles round on the drive tonight just in case it snows so that the land rover will be the first accessible vehicle so that we can get to church

Peter

Old Hywel

An earlier comment mentioned wartime rationing. This lasted well into the fifties, with meat being the last off the list in 1954.

Alan Drover

A "major incident" has been declared in Cumbria because of snow. I bet it was nothing like what hit the county (or was it Westmoreland and Cumberland then?) in 1963!
Words fail me!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

TimV

Or the winter of 1946/7.

Lowest temperature -21.3°C (or -6.34°F in old money) Elmstone, Kent

Exile

[/quote]
I know this is the series 2 club, but that needs a photo, especially if it's still a 2ltr diesel in it
Jon (fellow 2ltr S1 diesel owner)
[/quote]

If you insist.😉

grandadrob

I was in a very hilly part of North London in 62/63 and remember it well. Had a part time job helping a milkman. We had electric milk floats even in those far off days. The batteries never lasted long with all that wheelspin. Happier days......

w3526602

Hi. 

December 1967, Barbara was in Eastbourne Hospital going through the reproductive procedures, while I had moved into our new flat in Croydon.

The South Coast was "cut off", by snow, for three days. The Maternity Ward Sister gave me dispensation to arrive late for visiting.

I got there every night.

Ian F

I remember the 62/63 winter.  I was 12 and o can remember having to walk to school in Sheffield.  The buses didn't run for days and there was black snow piled at the side of the road for 3 months

I also lived near Sheffield at that time (Eckington) and was 15 years old. I cycled a lot and went out into the Peak district around Castleton and Edale. I remember cycling across the moors above Dore and Totley between snow banks about 10 feet high. Only enough room for one vehicle - snow plough width I suppose. So I didn't know where I was and fortunately didn't meet any other traffic.

Ian F

I remember the winter of 62/63.  I was about 5 at the time.  I remember being annoyed because my 3 year old brother was light enough to walk on the frozen crust of the snow, but I was just that bit heavier and kept breaking through. 

In about 1988 I was living in a tied cottage on a farm in Hertfordshire.  The bath sponge got frozen to the inside of the bathroom window.  It was stuck there for over one week.

We don't get winters like that any more.

David