News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

OT laptop software

Started by John, Feb 21, 2024, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

I use Thunderbird as my Email client but I am puzzled as to what Thunderbird with Outlook is

Peter

John

Quote from: Peter Holden on Feb 21, 2024, 04:07 PMI use Thunderbird as my Email client but I am puzzled as to what Thunderbird with Outlook is

Peter

I fear it may be my old age/health/stupidity :shakinghead

I now have Thunderbird set up for all my e mail accounts as it was on the old laptop and as said its good once you remember all the passwords :thud
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Wittsend

My Apple Mac has a finger print key - makes signing into my various apps dead easy & quick  :neener

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Uffddd

Quote from: Wittsend on Feb 22, 2024, 03:35 PMMy Apple Mac has a finger print key - makes signing into my various apps dead easy & quick  :neener
Most modern laptops should support facial recognition. Over time signing into things becomes seamless. I know I could never go back to a phone that required a finger print for anything.

Wittsend

With the advent of AI and facial recognition - Wittsend's financial tip of the week - get some shares in whoever makes these....

A lot of people are going to be wearing sunglasses and covid masks.

:cool

Kernowcam

I have a 2007 version of ms office and swapped laptops recently.  The code for this programme and windows is findable , and I'm not joking, by downloading 'magical jelly beans'

It quickly pulls the codes out.

John

I'm now using Thundebird for email and have loaded MS home & Student 2010 (x3 family pack, cheap on ebay) for word and Excel, (no use for powerpoint or one note) although readind on the internet it seems to say you can no longer load the 2010 version and it took some messing about and I'm not sure how I did it :confused
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

ChrisJC

I use Libre Office, which is free. I also use Thunderbird which is free.
There are a large number of people who believe that software should be free, and are prepared to put their money where their mouth is.

My laptop has no paid software on it - it is all free. I am using Linux, and Firefox for my web browsing.

I have no adverts, no nags to buy stuff, no 'new features that I've been waiting for', no patronising matey popup messages like 'we're looking for that for you' etc. etc. etc.

It will never tell me that it's going to stop working tomorrow and force an upgrade upon me. There are no subscriptions.

This website is running on free software (Apache + MySQL I expect). On Linux too.

It amazes me that people ever buy software, especially Windows...

Conclusion - Libre Office or Open Office. Get it from the proper source:
https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://www.openoffice.org/

Chris.

Theshed

My PC from Aldi was installed with 'Star Office' worked great and did everything we needed, and more, working with Microsoft and other applications.
Unfortunately not so the other way round. Documents exported to Microsoft had to be reformatted to work with Windows. ???