News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Engine identification help please

Started by carrownisky, Apr 05, 2024, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carrownisky

Hi

Is there a number or letter missing from the end or is it just 36107226 - thanks

Richard

According to Glencoyne and lrfaq in their Production by year section 361... is a 2.25 petrol 5-bearing Series 3 engine from 1982-5. But lrfaq put a suffix C at the end, but whatever it is at the end, I can't for the life of me see a C in it...
Richard
'64 S2a

carrownisky

Thanks Richard - I can't see a C either. Plus its in a series 2 chassis and looks like its always been there - got loads of old bits around it

Craig T

That doesn't appear to have all the cross bracing / webbing cast into the side of the block that the 5 bearing engines have.

Maybe it's a Rover 60 / 80 / P4 car engine.

Craig.

Richard

In the Land Rover Register 1948-53 (opens a pdf) there is a 1953 Series 1 with engine number 36107226 and registration number CH1669 with comment MB02/96. No idea what that means and you have to be a member of the Series 1 Club to enter the forum...
Richard
'64 S2a

carrownisky

Thanks Richard will take some photos later today the engine looks old

Craig T

Land Rover did have a funny chassis and engine numbering sequence to start with.
The first number means the model year so yes, 1953 would begin with a 3 and the following numbers denoted the model, 61 is a basic 80" model. My series one has a chassis number starting 5710 so 1955 model year and 710 means home market, basic, RHD, 86".

This isn't a series one 1600cc or 2000cc engine though, it's a later 2286cc engine so my money is still on the Rover car engine.

Craig.

autorover1

Rover P4 2.25 engines start with 645000001, 645100001 or 74500001A . Source Rover  Parts catalogue 4505

carrownisky

Hi all thanks for the input
Got some photos - hope they help

Peter

diffwhine

I reckon that engine is a lot newer than you think it is.
Can you get me a casting number off the cylinder head? It should be somewhere behind the carbatooter. The lifting eyes are similar to some of the military engines I've got and something tells me that you may be onto something there.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Craig T

Well, I couldn't see the webbing on the block earlier but it is there now so yes, 5 bearing series 3 engine my money is now on....

Craig.

carrownisky

Hi

Photo of engine casting no attached

ERG589901 ?

Also the exhaust manifold looks different to me - but Im no expert at all :-)

carrownisky

oops was that last photo the head casting no?

Think the block has "ISSUE 0" and "23C1" on it - but the heat shield makes it difficult to see

Alan Drover

The rocker cover is from a 5mb 2.3 engine (but it could have been retrofitted).
5mb engines have a terracotta block and a black cylinder head.
Engine numbers for the 5mb began with 361 for the 8:1 petrol, then a 5 figure serial number and a suffix letter.
I reckon you've got a 5mb engine there.
(From James Taylor's book on Series 3 Land Rovers)
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

carrownisky