News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Bangers & Cash

Started by Beowulf, Aug 17, 2023, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fv1620

What finally put me off, apart from the lack of Land Rovers, was when he was offered three vehicles used in Heartbeat. He sold the police van & GPO van but dismissed the ambulance as morbid as nobody is interested in such things & would be best as a camper despite it being full of original kit. I like old ambulances & thought that was sacrilege apart from that I see an ambulance not as something morbid but a sign of hope that help is coming.

Was this filmed before the betrayal of his wife or after? Watching it now I would find the smiles & chumminess a bit hard to take.   

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1740066/bangers-and-cash-derek-mathewson-wife-marriage-split-girlfriend-vicki-ivens
Clive Elliott

Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.

N

Quote from: fv1620 on Aug 23, 2023, 08:48 AMWas this filmed before the betrayal of his wife or after? Watching it now I would find the smiles & chumminess a bit hard to take.   

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1740066/bangers-and-cash-derek-mathewson-wife-marriage-split-girlfriend-vicki-ivens

The man's personal life is none of our business, and certainly of no relevance to whether he dislikes old land rovers or any other vehicle for that matter!

Typical Daily Express garbage.

Beowulf

Quote from: fv1620 on Aug 23, 2023, 08:48 AM........He sold the police van & GPO van but dismissed the ambulance as morbid as nobody is interested in such things & would be best as a camper despite it being full of original kit. .......

Was this filmed before the betrayal of his wife or after? Watching it now I would find the smiles & chumminess a bit hard to take.   

Hi Clive,
I didn't know about him leaving his wife, and I agree what a dirty trick. Sue appeared to be a lovely lady, often helping at the auctions & seen handling phone bids.

Throughout the series I had the feeling he was a very selfish man. On one occasion when taking his wife & grandchildren on a day out to the beach, still wearing his work cloths and faffing about at work, they were late leaving, and on the way he stopped to view a potential car for auction, that's dedication for you. 

He once bragged about not having had a proper holiday away for many years, I don`t suppose it occurred to him that his wife might like to go away as a family.

I`m no moralist, we are all flawed human beings, but when you put yourself out there in the public eye while getting paid for it, expect comment & criticism.

PS. I think old ambulances are a bit creepy to
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 18, 2023, 07:35 PMActually I think it's more a love hate relationship. He sold a Series 1 for me some years ago. Good price and there were no issues.
His beef is the amount of work required to keep them up to scratch.

Was talking to some classic tractor guys at a local show, and they commented that land rovers need 'constant' up keep if they are used or not.  Their words not mine.

I have found that classic vehicle sections at some shows can be exclusional when it come to land rovers.

Tractor guys say it should be with the cars, car section say it should be with the tractors.

Re Bangers and cash the producers purchased an S1 that was sold with its s3 stable mate when they went to market.

They commented watch this space, I was expecting to see it featured on the spin off restoration programme.  There is an episode titled land rover but all we got in that was a 1950's rally car, so a bit disappointed that it did not feature and that the episode was shown and continues to be repeated with that misleading title.

Maybe the vehicles turned out to be another horrendous overspend mistake, or they are still working on it!

Beowulf

Quote from: jonhutchings on Aug 22, 2023, 05:32 PMEach to their own I reckon. I hate VW beetles (and the camper vans) with a passion. No rational reason why, I just do.

Likes and dislikes are very subjective, try explaining your favourite colour. Hate is too strong a word, but I very strongly dislike the Bentley SUV Bentayga, having the looks and all the fineness of the London black taxis.

And what about Land Rover, based on looks alone, its a bit like that with Range Rover, not including the first model, all that followed were too boxy, too tall, too slab like.

But wouldn`t life be boring if we all liked the same colour  :cool
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

S2A V8

TimV

Quote from: S2A V8 on Aug 23, 2023, 04:40 PMLot 652 of the upcoming auction looks iffy, advertised as a 69 2A but looks like a series 3.

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-652---1969-land-rover-series-2a/?lot=17640&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=51&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=7&g=1

Pity, it's quite an early S3 with the large dashboard vents.

Wittsend

Our own John Horne had a little cameo in tonight's episode  :gold-cup

John

Quote from: S2A V8 on Aug 23, 2023, 04:40 PMLot 652 of the upcoming auction looks iffy, advertised as a 69 2A but looks like a series 3.

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-652---1969-land-rover-series-2a/?lot=17640&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=51&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=7&g=1

Its very hard to see anything that makes you think of a 11a, is it is a 11a thats been VERY updated or a 111 that in the past been made MOT and road tax exempt, should these points not be looked at before being offered for sale...
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Betsy1969

Irrespective of likes dislikes etc and the man's personal life I love the show just for all the old cars and their dedicated owners.

I do have one thing that niggles me and that's how Derek appears to decide himself when an item has sold and doesn't always try to get the price above 'His ' ideal price once it's reached the reserve . He ended one item rather abruptly in this weeks episode even though there seemed to be a race going on.

Andy