News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Canvas roof and boiled linseed oil.

Started by Smokey 11a, Sep 05, 2023, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey 11a

Hi, has anyone used boiled linseed oil on there canvas roof and did it do the job of treating a roof and stopping leaks and much much did you need to do an 88 full canvas roof?
Thanks.

I seem to recall that there is a acid or akali pre dip that increases oil uptake??????

Peter Holden

My bother in law treated his with boiled linseed oil many years ago and I am sure it prolonged its life

Peter

geoff

Further to the linseed oil question ....

Does it stop / slow down the canvas rotting ??

I'm due to buy a new tilt and from what I hear the canvas supplied these days isn't as good as it was !

My UCC tilt lasted about 7 years before it literally fell apart when touched so very wary of buying another tilt from ANY source !!!

My vehicle lives outdoors and tilt was fabsilled every year before winter.

Davidss

I am not able to advise on the effectiveness of linseed oil on tilt canvas.

I looked into the difference between Raw linseed oil and Boiled linseed oil.
The reading was that, when used on wood (garden furniture), raw linseed oil was slow to dry, while boiled linseed oil had a fast evaporating additive which significantly shortened the drying time.

The snag is that this additive is extremely volatile, which leads to the 'instruction' that any clothes used to apply the oil should be kept in a sealed container like a 'syrup tin' or screw topped glass jar.
An alternative is to smooth the cloth out, so there are no wrinkles where evaporated solvent can collect, then peg out the cloth on a clothes line where natural air movement will disperse the evaporating solvent.

Regards.

diffwhine

Same safety procedures for any similar oil such as Danish Oil as well. It's rare, but self combustion does happen.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

geoff

Naturally all safety regimens should be applied with any volatile product, but is anyone able to give me an answer regarding tilt protection ?

If nobody is able to advise is there any CURRENT wisdom out there regarding the best tilt seller ?
As said my vehicle lives outside

diffwhine

I think the general view is they all have their limitations in the quality of the source material.

We seem to hear good and bad reports from all the suppliers in here. I looked at an Under Cover Covers one today. One which has not yet shrunk to size as it's not been out in the wet yet. The weave was tight already which is a good sign. Normally on the new tilts you can see bits of light through before the weave has pulled tight. This one you couldn't do in my mind that a good bit of material. 
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

geoff

Thanks for the reply given the cost of tilt it needs to last as long as possible

warmday

I have used linsead oil mixed with a little bit of dark green shed paint to good effect to recolour and waterproof a tilt. Apart from the smell of the linseed oil which disappeared after about a month, the result was excellent and restored the tilt to almost as new condition. Best applied with a large soft paint brush with the tilt laid flat on grass on a dry day. Allow a day to dry before fitting back on the vehicle.

John

When the Land Rover lives outside do the roofs rot due to the wet/dry/wet cycle of outside life or is it due to the Sunlight UV that causes the damage ???
I ask as I wonder if it was parked under some sort of light proof cover/roof would extend canvas life even if still in a damp outside location.....

Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

jkhackney

@ warmday
You advise applying the oil off the vehicle, any reason? Does it drip through? I'm wondering if I should treat mine, too, but it would seem easier to leave it on.

@John/Oilstain
I keep my S1 with a UCC under a tarp and it doesn't seem to have changed at all since new, apart from bleaching over the hoodsticks where the tarp rubs on it (almost 6 years now). I don't know if it's UV or wet that kills them but I've been aiming at combatting the wet. I only cover it again once the canvas is dry, and I leave the windows/vents open under the tarp. I noticed that the tires on my caravan aged really quickly (sidewalls cracked) when exposed to air/UV so now I cover all the tires on all my outdoor vehicles.

Jeremy

John

Quote from: jkhackney on Sep 20, 2023, 04:11 PM@ warmday
You advise applying the oil off the vehicle, any reason? Does it drip through? I'm wondering if I should treat mine, too, but it would seem easier to leave it on.

@John/Oilstain
I keep my S1 with a UCC under a tarp and it doesn't seem to have changed at all since new, apart from bleaching over the hoodsticks where the tarp rubs on it (almost 6 years now). I don't know if it's UV or wet that kills them but I've been aiming at combatting the wet. I only cover it again once the canvas is dry, and I leave the windows/vents open under the tarp. I noticed that the tires on my caravan aged really quickly (sidewalls cracked) when exposed to air/UV so now I cover all the tires on all my outdoor vehicles.

Jeremy

If UV on your tyres is a problem should you use somthing like these if you can get the right size ???
eBay item number:374855575289

John

Would somthing like this protect the canvas without damaging other areas?
eBay item number:124545769695
Sorry for the OT picture

Richard

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 09, 2023, 07:45 PMI think the general view is they all have their limitations in the quality of the source material.

We seem to hear good and bad reports from all the suppliers in here. I looked at an Under Cover Covers one today. One which has not yet shrunk to size as it's not been out in the wet yet. The weave was tight already which is a good sign. Normally on the new tilts you can see bits of light through before the weave has pulled tight. This one you couldn't do in my mind that a good bit of material. 
I use several covers, but one of them stands out, and that's the one from Autopyjama. The others, after some time, all show signs of decay. One turned into dust, one shows cracks in the outer lining, others go apart at the seams or harden. My Range Rover Classic garden ornament (no, I still couldn't bring myself to getting rid of it) sits under the Autopyjama AutoStorm, and both car and cover seem to fare well. It was by far the most expensive (well, not for me, I bought it secondhand), but in this case there actually seems to be a relation between cost and quality... But still they all protect the car from the detrimental effects of water, resin and other tree droppings, falling branches (small ones of course), bird  and spider shit, moss and fungus...
Richard
'64 S2a