News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

The Land Rover Handshake

Started by Alan Drover, Oct 21, 2023, 03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

"He extended his hand, had it crushed, and returned to him."
A line from "Puckoon" by Spike Milligan, a very entertaining piece of literature.
This epitomises the handshake of a Series Land Rover driver from years of wrestling with a recalcitrant steering system.
I always give a vice like handshake as I can't stand anyone with a mushy grip. Recently an ex military acquaintance who accepted a handshake winced when I shook his hand. I was expecting a similar vice like grip but it was like shaking hands with a jelly.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alchad

Quote from: Alan Drover on Oct 21, 2023, 03:25 PM"He extended his hand, had it crushed, and returned to him."
A line from "Puckoon" by Spike Milligan, a very entertaining piece of literature.
This epitomises the handshake of a Series Land Rover driver from years of wrestling with a recalcitrant steering system.
I always give a vice like handshake as I can't stand anyone with a mushy grip. Recently an ex military acquaintance who accepted a handshake winced when I shook his hand. I was expecting a similar vice like grip but it was like shaking hands with a jelly.

I'd agree with you to a point - the point being wait until you get old and develop arthritis in your hands, I've only got it quite mildly but firm handshakes leave me wincing these days.

Alan Drover

I am old Alchad and the bones are feeling it sometimes but I do a lot of walking and try to keep as fit as possible. I was not keen on sport so I never wore myself out in my younger days.Unfortunately the days of humping engines and gearboxes about as I used to do over 50 years ago are long gone. I still do as much as possible and am awaiting my MG cylinder head back so that I can refit it. I can still carry a Wolf wheel and tyre under one arm.
As for handshakes I can still muster a good grip.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi,

My mother sent me Puckoon when I was in Malaya, almost exactly 60 years ago ....

... hiding in some bushes was a young author by the name of D.H. Lawrence, taking notes, thinking this would make a good plot for a novel ...

Unfortunately, I lent it to a mate, who lent it to a make, who lent ...

Quote. "A young author, by the name of D.H. Laurence was hiding in some bushes, taking notes, thinking "This would make a good plot for a novel!"

Alan Drover

I'd forgotten that one 602. I do remember another but I'd better not post it.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi AD,

Harry Secombe (Alias Neddy Seagoon) was just as bad.

He was on the castle parapets, during the war with the "Canny Highlanders", when it started to rain. He climbed into a cannon, to keep dry.

Hollow sounding voice "Ho, Ho, My turn in the barrel tonight!"

OK, that episode was broadcast about 70 years ago, so some of our readers might not understand the reference to a barrel. I assume the BBC radio censors were also ignorant. The original joke was set in a monastery.

w3526602

Hi again,

Google is aware of the significance of the phrase.

w3526602

Hi,

A quick Google indicates the PUCKOON is still available, new, at about £10. If you need an Xmas prezzy idea.

There is also a DVD at £33, but I know nothing about that.

Alan Drover

I bought a copy for 6/6d (32.5p) back in the 1960's. That disappeared and I bough another copy a few years ago for £8. That's now vanished.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Herald1360

Plenty on Ebay from about £2.50 upwards.....

Alan Drover

Found it hidden in plain sight!
How did a handshake topic get to Puckoon!??
"Ça plane pour moi!"