News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

National Pothole Day

Started by Alan Drover, Jan 15, 2024, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Apparently today is National Pothole Day and "experts(?)" are debating the reason why there are so many.
The obvious reason is cheapskate repairs after the utilities have dug the road up yet again and increased traffic including all this heavy electric junk and of course the road was never resurfaced properly in the first place.
Even with the Wolf wheels on my Series 3 I'm more careful with potholes because hitting a deep one too hard will likely knock the steering out of alignment at best or will cause other damage.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Exile

Today, the 15th January, is also officially the most depressing day of the year. :teacher

Yes, really!

Alan Drover

Quote from: Exile on Jan 15, 2024, 05:34 PMToday, the 15th January, is also officially the most depressing day of the year. :teacher

Yes, really!
I suspect that's why it was nominated "National Pothole Day."
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

I ran into an approach road to a mini roundabout's kerb at about 20mph back in the day fully laden. Those old Firestone Town and Countrys (6 ply) 750 x 16s bounced over it nicely  :RHD  (oops)

1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

GHOBHW

should see the potholes here, have to drive around them.

theres one thats a good 4-5inch deep, then 2ft away theres another the same, when it fills with water you don't even know its there, its insane. theres a speed bump nearby so usually people are slow enough to not hit it going fast.

they put some asphalt in it the other week....just loose asphalt/gravel. within 5 hours it was back into a huge pothole with a pile of the stuff they put in at the side of it. hope they got paid well for that one. ???

never seen such terrible roads, the old concrete roads here were better than whatever sponge they've put down in the last 20 years. if it isn't potholes, its weird bumps where they clearly didn't flatten it enough, so you get the rollercoaster experience too :thud

nathanglasgow

Can't blame potholes on EV weights. All vehicles are heavier now. My Mini F56 Cooper weighs the same as my 1967 "88.

w3526602

Even with the Wolf wheels on my Series 3 I'm more careful with potholes because hitting a deep one too hard will likely knock the steering out of alignment at best or will cause other damage.

Hi,

The Sands outside Dubai, 1961, I took an S1 fast round a sand dune, and "met" a large rock, resulting in four top front teeth leaning back at 45*, and a corresponding notch in the steering wheel.

Luck had decreed that an army dentist, from Aden (1000 miles to the South) was making his annual visit to RAF Sharjah, so was able to tidy up the damage.

A week later, Chiefie pointed out that the driver's side front wheel had a noticable lean. He blamed that on me, but said it was too long after the event, to take punitive action. I got the job of fitting the new axle.

Jeff

RAC have produced an App called "Stan" which when used apparently notifies the relevant authorities, whether they do anything about ot is another matter.  Cambridge Uni are working on materials to be used on the roads which will seek cracks self healing???
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a