The Advantage of a High Torque Starter Motor

Started by Alan Drover, Jan 16, 2024, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Recently I bought a battery tester that checks voltage, CCA, MCA, cranking voltage and battery charging.
This morning (16th January) after a cold night the battery voltage read 11.87. I set the tester to CCA and it gave a reading lower than the correct figure. I then set it to Cranking Voltage and turned the key. The high torque starter turned the engine over and it started ok. The voltage reading was 9.67. Had an ordinary starter been fitted it wouldn't have started the engine. I checked the charging voltage and it was a healthy 14.41 volts and with everything except the wipers switched on, including the heated windscreens it was 13.51.
These tests confirmed my thoughts that the battery is on its way out so a new one is on the cards.
I can use my CTek cordless quick charger if it doesn't start. Once started it's ok.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Fitting a Hi-torque starter (or if diesel, a 200Tdi starter) is a very worthwhile upgrade  :gold-cup
Highly recommended particularly if you have a diesel engine.

These starters are half the size & weight, BUT have twice the cranking speed of the OE Lucas starters.

:teacher
In this cold weather the battery power will be reduced by up to 50%.

:battery

Gareth

I shall be fitting mine tomorrow all being well.

haveyoubooked

I've fitted a few to classics and they make a huge difference to startability (not a word?) The only thing I miss is the characteristic startup sound of the old Lucas style. But don't miss the jump starts thereafter!

Peter Holden

My land rover battery is getting near the end of its life, I have a 200TDi starter fitted to my 2,25 diesel and although it isnt spinning as fast as it was when starting due to the battery it is starting on these cold mornings without effort.  It wouldnt have turned over with the old starter.

Peter

Exile

I must be lucky, as the standard starter on my 2.25 diesel, started Legless OK last Saturday morning after a cold night.

This included turning the engine over to put some vapour into the combustion chambers, then using the heater plugs, then turning the engine over again, whereupon it started fine.

I guess it has been working like that since 1969, so I won't be replacing it.

Two 6 volt batteries in reasonable (but nowhere near new) condition are required, of course....

Andrew65

What brand of hi-torque starter would people recommend please?

Peter Holden

Is it for a petrol or diesel.

For petrol WOSP seems to be the favourite

For diesel you dont need to go to that expense just fit a 200 or 300TDi starter, they work on the same principle as the WOSP( or does the WOSP work on the same principle as the 200 TDi?).  However the 200TDI is cheaper, it is also cheaper smaller and lighter but a straight replacement for the normal 2.25 diesel starter.

Peter

Wittsend

Just to clarify for those who don't know. The petrol and diesel starters have different mounting points.

The 200/300Tdi starter is backwardly compatible with the 2 and 2¼ litre diesel engines.

Alan Drover

I've got a WOSP for my 2.5 petrol. This engine requires a 9 tooth pinion as opposed to the 2.25 11 tooth pinion.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bloke

Quote from: Andrew65 on Jan 19, 2024, 03:13 PMWhat brand of hi-torque starter would people recommend please?

I have this one fitted to my 2.25 petrol. It works very nicely. It's on sale at the moment, plus you can use your Series 2 Club discount on top:

https://www.paddockspares.com/rtc5225hd-starter-motor-57.html

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)