News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Insurance

Started by Alan Drover, Apr 02, 2024, 08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

I was reading in an MG club magazine today that a driver who was insured received a letter from a police force stating that his car was not shown on the MID (Motor Insurance Database) site as being insured. This is the site that DVLA use to check the vehicle is insured when it's being taxed and also for the police who can carry out a check without stopping the vehicle and it could possibly be noted on ANPR cameras too. He sorted it out as he had a valid cover note but this made me wonder.
To check whether your vehicle is insured it's a simple matter of going to www.askMid.com and entering your registration number. If shown as insured then ok but if not and you have a valid cover note you should contact your insurer who is responsible for updating this base.
I checked mine and it's shown as insured.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

I was pulled over by the police on the M5 about 15 years ago as no insurance showing.  After a lot of inconclusive phoning around they came to the conclusion I probably had insurance they sent me on my way but advised me to check with my insurers and MID.  I had been with NFU Mutual for years and checked when I finished my journey .I was insured but due to an alleged computer glitch , MID hadn't been updated. By next morning it was updated on MID.   

nathanglasgow

Handy wee website. Just renewed my insurance today, gone down a fiver from last year to £101 so be interesting to see how long it takes for info to be updated.

Theshed

I may have mentioned before so edited highlight.
I was stopped by Police whilst driving my Wife's car. Officer said I wasn't insured, I assured him I was and gave insurance company name, and premium !
He quoted ANPR and said our system says you are not insured, moving right in front of my face he then asks 'IS THAT THE CASE' ?
His colleague then shouts over "It's ok that one". The one in my face just turns around and says 'ok you can go, as he walks away.
Pointless I know, but for my four-Peneth-worth I shout after him. OK Sorry About That !

Theshed

Quote from: nathanglasgow on Apr 02, 2024, 04:30 PMHandy wee website. Just renewed my insurance today, gone down a fiver from last year to £101 so be interesting to see how long it takes for info to be updated.
Which Insurance company did you renew with ?
Mine just gone up £30 with Hagerty. Not a large cash increase, but percent wise a big leap.

geoff

Premium ?? 

The only number I'd be interested in would be his !

I'm certainly not one to complain but his thrusting face and attitude is abusive and borderline assault deserving formal reprimand !

nathanglasgow

Theshed

Quote from: geoff on May 08, 2024, 12:00 PMPremium ?? 

The only number I'd be interested in would be his !

I'm certainly not one to complain but his thrusting face and attitude is abusive and borderline assault deserving formal reprimand !

It was a recent renewal so I knew how much the renewal premium was. All to help my case I thought.
Yes your right and I was pretty annoyed about it but at the time I did not really think about pursuing it.

Theshed

AF where over £100 more than Hagerty. Pete Best would not cover last time as I said there was technically seven seats, though unlikely ever to use all.
I didn't keep last B2L is there somewhere on 'site that gives list of insurers with Club discount ?

Wittsend

Look on the club's website. You can access all the past issues of B2L.

Classic car insurers should know all about Series Land Rovers.

Phone them up and if you are getting nonsense, ask to speak to a supervisor.

:RHD

Theshed

Amongst the many questions on the AF form was the date I passed my Driving test. Date !
I mean, like many on here I'm sure, I passed my tests some decades ago, so what difference does the actual date make ?
Now I know that information is obtainable amongst the various dates on my licence, but surely the date can't be significant.
Unless of course I'm a higher risk having passed on a Tuesday !  ???

w3526602

Hi,   

I passed my driving test on 8th March 1957, after three lessons with BSM, in Redhill, Surrey, aged almost 19, in a 1935 Austin 10 Lichfield, Registration CS3333 (which had bent rear axle, and no rear brakes ... but we won't go into that.

I passed my driving test AGAIN (Ministry examiner)  after five "miscelaneous" lessons (during "sports afternoons" at RAF Weeton, mixing it with trams and holiday makers along Blackpool sea front. This time it was in an RAF Bedford 4x4 RL truck, in circa 1960.

By 1961, I was driving such trucks in Arabia ... our Hawker Hunter fighter jets were returning to base with rifle bullet holes ... fired from above.

Happy daze!

Ian F

By 1961, I was driving such trucks in Arabia ... our Hawker Hunter fighter jets were returning to base with rifle bullet holes ... fired from above.

You will have to explain that one John!!

Ian F

diffwhine

I'm guessing much like we had in Bosnia - being shot at from lunatics up in the mountains firing down on us, but I too would love to hear!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

w3526602

Hi,

RAF Sharjah was a "staging post" on the Persian Gulf, two hoots and a holla from Dubai, where the village lights went dim when the Sheik turned his palace lights on. I was "in" at the "dragging into the 20th century". I delivered a scrap Coles crane from Sharjah to Dubai to get building a new power station started. An interesting experience ... only four controls ... steering wheel, hand brake, hand thottle, and gear lever. We used the battery from the Sheik's Chevrolet to start the huge petrol engine ... in gear.

Once moving, my mate clambered round to the font bumper, disconnected the battery, and handed it to the Sheik. Once he was back in the cab, I yanked the throttle lever, and away we went .... Full throttle, clutchless gear changes and glorious roar from the huge petrol engine ... 3" dia exhaust pipe with no silencer.  :cheers-man. I parked it in the construction site, and left them to it.

Some 30-ish years later, my son sent me a postcard showing the Dubai skyscrapers poking through clouds. No more sand main street with mud walled shops, and "barusti" roofs ... nor a huge pile of dead fish on the jetty.