News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

It doesn't always happen with Land Rovers.

Started by Alan Drover, Apr 07, 2024, 11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

I decided to mow the lawn today. The battery mower had its blade sharpened earlier this year but when I got it running it vibrated badly so that's going back. Dragged the petrol Hayterette out, 2 pulls on the recoil starter and the cord broke.
Gave up and am off to the pub soon!!!!

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

Did the same yesterday. My Honda driven Mountfield would not start, no spark. Dismantled it and cannot find any obvious fault, so dragged out on older model with a Briggs & Stratton engine, that hasn't seen the light of day for more than 10 years. Filled it with fuel & it started and ran OK with 3 or 4 pulls of the string.   

Countryview

That's the hayter protesting about being replaced with an electric version! Take him to the pub with you!
1959 88" Series 2

DogDave

Just be glad you have mowing weather- up here it's about right for making a large wooden boat and finding 2 of each animals to go on it.

Alan Drover

My Hayter, pre dead man's handle, has a side valve Briggs and Stratton An "American Villiers" engine, soldiers on whatever.
No way would the Hayter be replaced with an electric thingy.  Only the Hayter can cope with the very rough ground "out the back."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Gareth

My Qualcast Concorde with new super unleaded started first pull. Mowed the lawn then gave it an oil change.

Wittsend

SNAP !

This topic inspired me to get my mower going. 1st dry day for a week.

Started 1st pull - a JCB Honda powered jobie  :gold-cup
And that's on 2 yr old unleaded.

Gordon Lowe

We must be unlucky,  I have had to cut our grass 3 times already and it will need cutting again next weekend.  The mower had been sat in the shed since last year with petrol in the tank and started second pull this season

Alan Drover

I'm going to resurrect the "posh" Hayter with electric start and variable speeds from its Rip van Winkle state tomorrow. I might connect my 16 year old slave battery to it to see if it will start otherwise it's the recoil starter.
The other 2 mowers will be stuffed into the Land Rover and off to the garden machinery shop.
At least the baby petrol Stihl strimmer started easily. It took a few pulls because I drained the petrol last year for storage.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

Quote from: Wittsend on Apr 07, 2024, 03:49 PMSNAP !

This topic inspired me to get my mower going. 1st dry day for a week.

Started 1st pull - a JCB Honda powered jobie  :gold-cup
And that's on 2 yr old unleaded.

Pleased to be of help Wittsend.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Theshed

The weeds are in control of the paving. I just mow them to neaten it up !

Craig T

Wonder if you could tip the mower on it's side, put a socket and impact gun on the blade nut and bump start it......   :flasher

Craig.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Craig T on Apr 08, 2024, 09:09 AMWonder if you could tip the mower on it's side, put a socket and impact gun on the blade nut and bump start it......   :flasher

Craig.
Possible I reckon but very dodgy. Elf and Safety would have a fit.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Old Hywel

Quote from: Craig T on Apr 08, 2024, 09:09 AMWonder if you could tip the mower on it's side, put a socket and impact gun on the blade nut and bump start it......   :flasher Craig.
No, it'll only open the nut. If you can get a socket on the top of the crank, a battery drill will wind it over well.

Alan Drover

I dragged the "posh" Hayter from its slumbering place, put some petrol in and after 3 pulls it started after about 4 years of lay up but the fuel pipe from the tank to the carburettor was split. I removed it, it's 1/4 inch but I don't know if I've got an E10 resistant spare. It's only about 6 or so inches long.
I'll have a rummage in the garage.
"Ça plane pour moi!"