News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Good old British Engineering

Started by Alan Drover, Jul 28, 2023, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

1835 Austin Lichfield?
I remember buying 2 stroke mixture for my Villiers engined New Hudson autocycle in the early 1960's. It was via a hand operated pump and the oil to fuel ratio was by a dial, 16:1 for Villiers engines.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Gritstoner

My favourite thing I learned about these old pumps is the valve connectors are labelled RENRUT, the manufacturer Turner who made them backwards. 

Old Hywel

Standard LR tyre pump was the T- handled, stirrup pump type.
If you're having trouble inflating a 7.50 using such a large Kismet pump, I'd suggest there's something amiss with it.

Here's one of its smaller brothers.

Exile

First pic is of the foot pump that came as standard with early Range Rover Classics.

Second pic shows that Land Rover had "upgraded" to a puny hand pump by the time of the first One Tens in 1983.
(And yes, it is even shown in the Parts Manual!)

Alan Drover

Quote from: Old Hywel on Jul 30, 2023, 10:54 AMIf you're having trouble inflating a 7.50 using such a large Kismet pump, I'd suggest there's something amiss with it.
It's probably me running out of puff. I used to be able to do it but probably buying the T Max has made me lazy.
It pumps the 185/70 x 14 MG tyres easily.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

ChiefBeard

The Missus says she'll sew brown leather patches to the elbows of this thread.

Alan Drover

Quote from: ChiefBeard on Jul 30, 2023, 08:26 PMThe Missus says she'll sew brown leather patches to the elbows of this thread.

? Explain!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

ChiefBeard

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jul 30, 2023, 08:58 PM? Explain!

All beards and brown beer...

Also gone it seems are the days of free tyre inflation 602, or indeed the amount of folk who keep tabs on their levels and pressures.

I recall a story of a young lady who had a clio.  It did not have a dipstick on the engine, so she said, it had a gauge on the dash.  The gauge said full the engine disagreed when it locked solid due to having no oil inside.

Old Hywel

Quote from: ChiefBeard on Jul 30, 2023, 11:15 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Jul 30, 2023, 08:58 PM? Explain!

All beards and brown beer...

Sorry, too obscure for me. Whatever, it's not much to do with pumps.

Alan Drover

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Quote from: Exile on Jul 30, 2023, 06:13 PMFirst pic is of the foot pump that came as standard with early Range Rover Classics.

Second pic shows that Land Rover had "upgraded" to a puny hand pump by the time of the first One Tens in 1983.

The in the range rover is like mine, but I had wrongly assumed my 'golden tornado' liveried pump was oe.

In the one kit, does the wallet feature the leyland logo, as it looks like the one that came with t45 truck range, they were slightly larger and very dark blue.

Does the handle shown top right simply crank the jack.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Old Hywel on Jul 30, 2023, 10:54 AMIf you're having trouble inflating a 7.50 using such a large Kismet pump, I'd suggest there's something amiss with it
I've given the pump a dose of Neatsfoot oil for the washers and mineral oil in the oil cups on the pivots. I tried it on the MG tyres and raised the pressure by 10 psi very quickly. Of course there's far less volume of air in a 185/70 x 14 tyre than in a 7.50 x 16.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Exile

Quote from: 2286 on Aug 01, 2023, 12:50 PM
Quote from: Exile on Jul 30, 2023, 06:13 PMFirst pic is of the foot pump that came as standard with early Range Rover Classics.

In the one kit, does the wallet feature the leyland logo, as it looks like the one that came with t45 truck range, they were slightly larger and very dark blue.

Does the handle shown top right simply crank the jack.

The clear plastic wallet came with a pre-production One Ten. I believe the production wallets were green.

I can't see a handle "top right".....