News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Land Rover Life Magazine

Started by Alan Drover, Aug 03, 2023, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

I had a quick look at this new magazine from the publisher of LRM. The editor is Neil Watterson late of LRO. There's nothing really new in it and it seems a strange time to launch it so soon after the demise of LRO.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Larry S

I believe the launch date was pre-planned for that.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

ChrisJC

Since LRO was ultimately unsuccessful commercially, is the formula different for this new magazine?

Chris.

Theshed

Quirk of business that LRO had double the circulation of the other Landrover magazines combined, yet could not make enough money.
Was the profit margin for Baur not big enough ?
Hope it succeeds but I don't think I will be taking up any more sub's.

Alan Drover

Quote from: ChrisJC on Aug 04, 2023, 07:59 AMSince LRO was ultimately unsuccessful commercially, is the formula different for this new magazine?

Chris.

I couldn't see any difference. I subscribe to LRM now and LRL looks virtually the same set up with some ex LRO staff.
I suspect articles will be recycled from other magazines.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

sheepman

For a new magazine I would have liked to see a different format but it is the same old mag with a different name.
I think it is published by the same company as LRM mag.

Alan Drover

Quote from: sheepman on Aug 04, 2023, 06:20 PMI think it is published by the same company as LRM mag.
It is.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Beowulf

Quote from: Theshed on Aug 04, 2023, 08:41 AMQuirk of business that LRO had double the circulation of the other Landrover magazines combined, yet could not make enough money.
Was the profit margin for Baur not big enough ?
Hope it succeeds but I don't think I will be taking up any more sub's.

I think its much more about income than it is about profit.

In this age of Online everything, the printed versions of most magazines can`t really compete. For example, a copy of LRO in 2021 had a total of 148 pages, of which 34 were advertizing, about 23% of the available pages.

Now compare that with a copy of LRO in 2008, with 228 pages, of which 107 were advertizing, about 47% of the available pages. That's a huge amount of income that isn`t there anymore.

There's a large elephant in the room, too many magazines offering the same thing while competing for the same buyer. And another contributing factor, us, we the interested few, and becoming fewer by the year. Modern generations, with some exceptions, are interested moderns things and to a large extent that means Information Technology and lots more that I haven't even heard about, just about as far away from an old LR as you can get.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Alan Drover

I received the latest issue of LRM today and it mentioned its sister magazine Land Rover Life which is a quarterly publication. It mentions a BMW powered Defender which features also on the inside back page of LRM.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

Someone was giving them out free at the rally so came home with free copies of both Land Rover life and LRM.

I'm probably not target market as don't really buy many magazines but I'd struggle to tell you what the difference is between the 2 - other than cover price on LRL is a pound more than LRM. Both the same size at 114 pages so I guess LRM better value on pence per page?

I'd take built to last over either of them to be honest.

Peter Holden

I didnt get a copy of LRM but I did Land Rover Life

Peter

Wittsend

I didn't get anything at the rally  :'(

TBH - it's not a magazine for me.
Is the paper the right texture for the cat litter tray ???

Rusty66

I have stopped subscribing a while ago and only buy the occasional copy when visiting the Uk.

Which I did this week. LRM has become quite thin and so is LR Life (and Classic LR, but different publisher of course). Why don't they supply us with one proper mag that one hasn't finished reading within half an hour.

Also more workshop content, new in the shops/product tests, detailed rebuild/build pictures would be good, as they make you pick up the issue again later.

Wittsend

Sounds like you should join our club and get the B2L magazine  :coffee

Alan Drover

When I visited the LRM stand at Newbury last April I mentioned that more technical and workshop material would be a good idea and to be fair LRM does contain both including a technical query section. This could be expanded though but it seems "sensationalism" is the one thing.
"Ça plane pour moi!"