Things you find in places where they shouldn't be...

Started by diffwhine, Mar 30, 2024, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Two years ago we lost a good quality trowel in the garden. It was used pretty much every day so quickly missed. Everywhere was searched and I mean everywhere and thoroughly. We even emptied the composter.
We eventually had to give up, there was no sign of it.
My partner works in the garden every day and so continually in every part of it.
We sometimes speculated on where it had gone but had no idea.
A year later I was passing a border which was at the edge of the route taken in and out of the garden and there at the front of it standing handle up in the soil was the trowel, bold as brass and couldn't be missed.
We have no explanation, it's one of a number of things that have happened here some even stranger. Part of the 'fun' of living in an ancient building !

TimV

Quote from: 22900013A on Apr 01, 2024, 08:41 PM
Quote from: TimV on Apr 01, 2024, 01:44 PMWhile stripping a S3 dash, I found a large ceramic fuse holder fallen into the gap, along with several pens.

Ex electricity board?
No, don't think it was one of theirs - marine blue.

island dormy

When I stripped the 69 Dormobiles interior down I found fish hooks, and tacks placed in various hiding spots. This was obviously done at Dormobile.
 The ruler came from Saskatchewan (in the middle of Canada) I spoke with the previous owner he had no clue how it got up above the side upholstery.
 I put them back in the next owner can deal with them.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

22900013A

Quote from: TimV on Apr 02, 2024, 01:27 PM
Quote from: TimV on Apr 01, 2024, 01:44 PMWhile stripping a S3 dash, I found a large ceramic fuse holder fallen into the gap, along with several pens.

Ex electricity board?

Several boards used blue vehicles. South Wales, East Midlands, Scottish Hydro to name three.

TimV

Quote from: 22900013A on Apr 02, 2024, 09:57 PM
Quote from: TimV on Apr 02, 2024, 01:27 PM

Ex electricity board?

Several boards used blue vehicles. South Wales, East Midlands, Scottish Hydro to name three.
Originally registered in Yorkshire - Bradford.

Craig T

I drove my P38 Range Rover around for a year or so before taking the seat trim off to run some new cables.
Found six, 20 gauge shot gun cartridges in there. I still have them in a drawer in my toolbox. Not quite sure what to do with them!

Craig.

GHOBHW

once found a ton of .22 casings and a very large machete behind some seats in a 110.

best thing I ever found was when removing the lining from a 109 roof and there was a large "MERRY CHRISTMAS" written down, could make 90% of it out behind the tar slapped on to hold the liner. so clearly done at the factory before the fitting stage

diffwhine

And then there's the story of my carburettor balancing trumpet. It went missing after setting up the SU carburettors on a V8 One Ten. I got a call from the owner months later, who found this odd unidentifiable object under his bonnet en route to South Africa while stopped in Lusaka. Id did well to stay there for that distance on those roads, but was happily nestled behind the left hand headlight in the inner wing.

I got it back, but had to collect it myself on my next visit to South Africa.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Apr 04, 2024, 08:52 AMFound six, 20 gauge shot gun cartridges in there. I still have them in a drawer in my toolbox. Not quite sure what to do with them!

Craig.

Give them to someone with a 20 bore shotgun.

Often someone who is into shooting will be starting off a partner or child with the smaller 20 bore.

Do you know a local gamekeeper?

Craig T

I don't really know anyone that shoots. I did think of dropping them in the local police station for disposal, I assume they would do that?

I'll ask around the locals in case anyone wants them but not sure it's worth it for 6 shells.

Craig.

diffwhine

Yes - the local Police should take them off you no problem. If not, I can get rid of them round here. I know a few people who use 20 Bores for vermin control.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GVO418J r.i.p.

Not exactly landrover applicable  - except for when the government did that scrappage scheme

My mate works at a large scrap yard on the vehicle decommissioning site and the 3 man crew share anywhere from £10 to £25 per week from money finds in scrapped vehicles.

Actually easy to see why - my brother sat in the rear of my disco 2 the other day and lost 2 quid out of his pocket - only reason I know is the tight $^%& went looking for it after he realised he no longer had the coins for the supermarket trolley.