News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

grounding points

Started by JohnR2, Apr 02, 2024, 06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR2

Where are the rear lights/indicators normally earthed? I have quite a lot of wiring missing so it's not obvious. Also does anyone have rear fog or reversing lights fitted? I'm thinking a Mini style reversing light/spotlamp, but not sure where a period style foglamp could go as they tend to hang down and the rear crossmember might not be the ideal place for one?

Wittsend

By self-taper screws behind each rear corner cover in the tub. Screwed into the tub floor.

:flasher

JonB

My Early s2 were self tapped into the chassis in the rear corners with a connector 236366 that takes two bullets.

The early parts book also says 'on rear crossmember' so I assume they were original.

Personally would avoid earthing anything onto the aluminium parts, the dissimilar metals and electronic corrosion will be amplified with current running through it.

Original earthing points for loom wiring are rear chassis, bulkhead and front light panel, so all in steel👍

Jon

Wittsend

Must be a Series 2 Series 2A difference. Later 2As are earthed as I posted - with he dual Lucar bracket to take 2 bullet connectors. The 2As I've seen have this.

:RHD

Twomokes

For reversing lamps I used WFT576s because I had 2 to hand. In period most UK works rally teams used one for the same purpose. They bolt through the panel with a hollow bolt which acts as the cable conduit.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

island dormy

I used a old style tractor light bolted onto the top of the rear crossmember (through any existing hole) and a small L-bracket as a back up light with a switch under the dash. It looks period correct.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

JohnR2

Quote from: Twomokes on Apr 02, 2024, 08:22 PMFor reversing lamps I used WFT576s because I had 2 to hand. In period most UK works rally teams used one for the same purpose. They bolt through the panel with a hollow bolt which acts as the cable conduit.
Yes, that's what I have on my Mini, I do like the look of them.

Univetsal

Quote from: island dormy on Apr 02, 2024, 10:10 PMI used a old style tractor light bolted onto the top of the rear crossmember (through any existing hole) and a small L-bracket as a back up light with a switch under the dash. It looks period correct.

Victor

Pardon my ignorance, but the aerofoils on the rear corners serve what purpose? ???

Twomokes

Mine, I sometimes run with covers in the daytime.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

island dormy

Hi Univetsal

Air Brakes............. No seriously they are dust or snow deflectors, lots of American cars in the late 1950s had them,
 Land rover did list them as an option but I have never seen another Landrover with them except my dads 62.
 I liked them so built a pair for the Nada.
 They dont work, we tried them set at many different angles on the dusty Alberta prairie roads.
 All they get used for now is as towel racks when we are out camping.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built