Fan and dynamo belts for LR Series 2, 88" 2 litre DIESEL engine of 1960

Started by Carlo, Apr 07, 2024, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Good morning, can anyone tell me if the single "fan and dinamo belt", LR part nr. 511963, is the same belt as the belts indicated with LR part nr. 512501 (pair of belts), the latter being used when an 8-blade fan is installed ? I am asking because i wish to replace my twin "fan and dinamo belts" and i cannot find LR part nr. 512501 at any vendor, while the single belt LR part nr. 511963 is readily available at various vendors. If the belts have the same measurements i would gladly buy 2 pieces of LR part nr. 511963. Many thanks for any advice and have a good Sunday.

GHOBHW

I think thats the only difference, the twin belt stuff was at a set size, 100% the same size and measurements.

no idea how much variation there is between regular fan belts though ???

below are 2 links for twin fan belts. might be worth buying a set to be 100% sure

https://pablanchard.co.uk/Fan-Belt-Matched-Pair-587086
https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/587086-fan-belt-military-2-25-litre-12-volt-matched-pair-series-3.html

Carlo

Thanks for the advice, i will try and order 2 piece of the standard belt LR nr. 511963: should they not fit, i will inform on this forum.

My car is on the road since now 3 years after a complete restoration: i believe it is the oldest LR on the road in The Bahamas and it is also my daily drive; i have to add that the climate here is quite punishing in terms of rust.

GHOBHW

love the tropical truck cab roof.

did the vehicle have an interesting life over there? not many times you see a 2L diesel with an oil cooler and the 8 blade setup :RHD

Wittsend

Rather than hunt down a supplier of the LR part number, simply measure the circumference of your belt run over the pulleys and take than measurement to your local motor factors  ???

... which gives:-

If you don't have a tape measure you can use a piece of string or baler twine.

:RHD

Carlo

Thanks for the advice and let me see what i can find here: parts in Nassau are mostly a problem for a car that is not standard and modern. I have imported the car 3 years ago, after a complete restoration executed in Switzerland (where i used to live): the Country is flat and the traffic is acceptable, the only "issue" being that in summertime, when it is really humid and hot, the engine tends to get hot quite quickly.

Wittsend

As I suggest, measuring the belt circumference would be your easiest and quickest solution.

Often the various belt manufactures use the circumference in millimetres as part of their part number.
In my example ^^^ 105 cm = 1050mm and is the belt size.

You can then just go into any decent motor factors and get a pair of belts that will fit your engine.

???

diffwhine

Some years ago now, I set up a Land Rover dealership in Nassau amongst other markets in the region. I recall that getting basic stuff locally was always a headache and we ended up sourcing a lot of stuff from "the mainland" i.e. Miami. It may be simpler just to source the belts here and send them to you. As said above, you need a matched pair and they were sold as such from Rover, but from memory I think there are 3 different part numbers for the matched belt sets. You have the 2A 12v version, with a dynamo, the Series 3 12v version for an alternator and you have the big 24v FFR version. A lot depends therefore on what is already fitted. The latter was only a military vehicle option, so you can discount that.

I am querying this overheating... If it's a slipping belt issue,then this belt change may help, but Nassau is not hot as in really toasty hot and a standard 4 blade fan and cooling system should cope fine. It makes me wonder if there are any blockages in your cooling system or if it has the wrong thermostat fitted. 

Also, aesthetically you may wish to fit two belts, but in reality, you only need one!

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon