News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Front and rear differential

Started by Bigdog, Apr 22, 2024, 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi, just wondering would series 3 front and rear differential fit a series 2a, and if so is £100 a good price , they were refurbished when fitted but removed to fit longer ratio ones, thanks

Bigdog

Just wondering if worth getting for spares , is it a good price for both

Wittsend

If they are standard Rover 1:4.7 ratio diffs and they are in good condition then £100 is at the top end. By good I mean no obvious slop/play when you turn the prop shat end. A little play (on take up) is acceptable.
Always worth having some in as spares.

:RHD

Birdsnest55

These will fit.
But.... You need to check if they are fine or coarse splines.
Do you have a standard Rover diff in the back of yours?
£100 is cheap for a pair.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Wittsend

If they are standard Rover 4.7:1 ratio diffs and they are in good condition then £100 is at the top end. By good I mean no obvious slop/play when you turn the prop shat end. A little play (on take up) is acceptable.
Always worth having some in as spares.

Bigdog

Bigdog

I have a series 2a 109 ex military but going to be getting a 1961 series 2a 88 ex military that is a full rebuild

nathanglasgow

If they were refurbished with new pinion/oil seal and play adjusted out I'd say £100 is very good value for the pair.

ChrisJC

Quote from: Bigdog on Apr 22, 2024, 05:04 PMIt says 4.850 crown wheel

Is that not a P3 or P4 ratio?

Chris.

diffwhine

Probably safest to count the teeth and do the maths...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

In general Rover car diffs come in 4,3, 4.1 and 3.9 versions.  4.3s are roughly the equivalent to running in overdrive and were most commonly found in Rover 60 cars.  As said above count the teeth on the crownwheel and the pinion and do the maths.

Peter

w3526602

Hi,

Asking out of ignorance ....

... are the oil filler holes compatible with your axle cases?

I have vague memories of meeting a Series axle with two filler plugs (not a problem), which implies are/were two axles, not necessarily on the same truck, with NO filler plugs.

Do you know the qualifications of who ever set-up the teeth engagements?

Why should a front diff require refurbishment?