News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Clear lacquer

Started by Bigdog, Apr 23, 2024, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Just wondering if anyone has used clear lacquer to protect the patina on series land rovers, thanks

Dopey

A lot of people do on classics, I don't see why they do it though, It just stops more patina.....

Ken

Wouldn't that give you very shiny patina......two opposites ?

Mike T

If you go down the route of using lacquer, its available in, Matt, Satin and full gloss.

geoff

I always try to avoid lacquer as typically the protective coating gets penetrated by something and moisture and corrosion sets in, very ugly and time consuming to sort out.

With a vehicle and patina I prefer to use something like Lanoguard or similar on the underneath or possibly Owatrol up top of a vehicle for protection  :RHD

Craig T

On a Land Rover, don't bother. The alloy panels won't corrode heavily on their own and the clear coat is unlikely to stick to bare aluminium, that is why etch primers have to be used on alloy panels.

For steel cars (or Land Rover bulkheads) then yes, clear coat will seal it and stop any further corrosion.

Lots of people have said to me to leave my series one as it is and keep the "Patina". Personally I hate it, it's not "patina", it's just evidence of previous owners bad efforts to paint it! I'll be stripping it all off ready for a fresh coat on the right colour paint again. Some vehicles though it does suit to leave it as it is.

Craig.