News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2a Heater

Started by Bigdog, Aug 20, 2023, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi, what would be the original correct heater to put in a 1970 series 2a 109 ex military, would it be a smith's one, thanks

Dormy

Is it really a 1970 vehicle or first registered in 1970 when it was demobbed ? In which case it could have already been some 10 years old.

If 1970 built vehicle it would have been a Smith's flat type.
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Wittsend

If it truly is a 1960 build then it wouldn't have had a heater. Round Smiths heaters were an optional extra. Would the MoD have ordered heaters ???

If it is a 1970 build then it is a late 2A and if it had a heater it would be the flat Smiths type.

However a few MoD vehicles were fitted out with an Artic heater for Nordic duties. These are quite a complicated ducted air handling system - quite rare I suspect, if you are trying to re-create one of those. I'm sure if you Google "Land Rover Artic Heater" it will throw up some pictures ???

:RHD

diffwhine

The MOD retrofitted a lot of heaters in vehicles operating in Germany, UK and Canada. Usually they were fitted as an operational requirement rather than as standard. In those days we were still fighting more hot climate wars (usually in our former colonies...)
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

How can I tell if it's a 1960 or 1970 build, my docs says year 1970

Peter Holden

Message me your chassis number and I will tell you

Peter

Wittsend

What's the chassis number ???

Post a picture up of your vehicle - front, back, sides, engine bay, cab/dash - that will soon tell us what you have.

If it was an MoD vehicle it was standard practice at the time for the MoD to "cast" them off - sold by auction to a few dealers. As these vehicles were never registered for the road, the dealers arranged 1st registration and the DVLC just gave them a reg number and year letter of the day. If your is a 1960 build and it matters to you, it might be possible through our VRO to get an "age related" number, i.e. 3 letters/3 numbers ???

Bigdog

Think I have done all this when I was trying to get it registered, but here are some pictures

Bigdog

This is the vehicle data cards

Bigdog

On the heritage certificate it says date built was the 16th jan 1970, just seen that so I assume it's 1970 then

Wittsend

Your Series 2A was indeed built in 1970.

Bigdog

So a smiths flat heater would be correct or were they all extra, just trying to keep it original as possible

Bigdog

Noticed it got dispatched 27 of jan 1970 so more or less went straight to the MOD

Wittsend

From May 1967 2As had the flat Smiths heater as standard, at first with the rheostat control, but well before 1970 they changed to the cheaper Lucas simple off/slow/fast switch.

Ben2a

Quote from: Bigdog on Aug 20, 2023, 06:48 PMThis is the vehicle data cards
. How.did you find this,  would love to discover the one for my ex mod 2a