News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Any thoughts what she's worth, 1960 SWB?

Started by matada34, Jul 10, 2023, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matada34

Afternoon,

My mind has being churning for over 12 months now on whether I should keep my 1960 SWB or sell it, ive had it for over 15 years but over the last 5 years it sits in the garage barely used.

I stripped it and had the bulkhead refurbed, chassis tidied up, new loom etc etc etc but kept the body patina'd from 1960 and things as original as possible.

Its fully road worthy but needs some final tweeks to make it the very nice,  it does get used alittle but truth behind it due to having little kiddies it goes know where!
Its also got lots of good history, the PO had it for 20 years.

To add to it the garage space is getting tied up for something that isn't used or enjoyed, ive also probably lost some interest.

Ive thought about changing it for another 'toy' 😊 which we can use and go on little adventures and sleep overs.... I'm thinking an older VW Camper (T2 or T25).

If I sell I know in time to come Ill maybe regret it and be searching for another Landy but hopefully in the mean time we would make some more great memories.

Being honest unless I get decent money for the landy I wont sell it and also wouldn't be able to afford a reasonable camper van.

I've got it insured with an agreed value of £14,500, I know things are worth what people will pay but where do I start?!

Any suggestions what it maybe worth would be great, I'll add more pics this eve.

Cheers Matada

PS – it also must sell to the right person, I want it to stay original/close to standard!

matada34

diffwhine

I think some photos will help, but my thinking.

Values are dropping quite fast at the moment. I think the absurd price bubble has finally burst.
If it is something relatively rare like an original Station Wagon, maybe its worth more.
Prices are all over the place. Somebody may well give you around the insurance value for it and if its basically in good nick, that's probably good enough.
Had it got a new chassis and possibly a bulkhead, that would give buyers a perception of longetivity and potentially get more people interested in the £12,000 - £18,000 region although I think that is probably achievable.
I would have thought that a late S2 / early 2A standard soft top or pickup should be worth about £8,000 - £12,000 in reasonable condition and not requiring an imminent rebuild or other high expenditure. Anything above that is probably a bonus.

Bottom line I suppose is that you really don't know unless you test the water and start punting it about. All I would add, is don't be too picky about who buys it or what they may choose to do with it. Its easy to get misty eyed about this, but cold reality says that if its worth saving in current condition, a buyer probably will do so, but if not, its their choice.

Edit - Just seen you've posted some pics!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

matada34

Cheers for the replies and thoughts, full agree! Cheers
Few more pics

diffwhine

Does the sale include the bottle of Glenfiddich?

matada34

It could be included if required   :cheers

Peter Holden

I am not being very helpful but I think at the moment any "what is it worth" is a waste of time except for agreed value insurance.  Prices seem to be all over the place and I know of at least 2 reasonably priced good value ones that are not selling and at least as many that have sold for far more than they are worth.

I think that it is worth whatever you can get for it.

One of the classic insurers (Haggerty?) has a valuation tool on their website.  How much it is I am not sure.

Your post is a reminder to me to check my agreed value, I suspect I am on the low side.

Peter

ChiefBeard

I'm afraid I'm in agreement. A "What's it worth" post is all very well provided you already expect the answer.

Ahem, "What someone will pay".

And prices have always been everywhere, no less so than now.
By their very nature one-make sites are populated with an inflated take on value.

I'm offering £3.50, however if I'm selling - ah, that's different. I'm looking for some fool to pay £35,000. £50,000 would be better.

And so it goes on.

First thing I noticed was what appears to be an age related non transferable registration.

There was a trend at one stage to asset strip old vehicles then sell on.

Whilst the purist would always prefer original registration does it affect the the value.

Additionally when folks opportunists or not are selling vehicles that are so far gone that they need sweeping up but then in the ad say 'valuble number plate'.

Vehicles used to have to be presented in person to have plate transferred off.  They were also required to be mot'd even if exempt.  Is that still the case. 

matada34

You are correct with that one (it always upsets me!), about 35-40 years ago a dealer bought it and took the plate off :(

Crumbly65

I found this very interesting.

There are too many imponderables to "What's it Worth?".  There's the worth to me (the regret of selling, the money spent over the years, the spares I've accumulated), the insurance valuation, what the market will bear, what it's worth to somebody who really, really wants my kind of vehicle, as opposed to somebody who just want a classic car runabout.

I'm thinking the best approach for me, is to just pick a figure I want that I feel is fair, put it "out there", and see what happens.

As long as I'm reasonable and not too greedy, or expect the buyer to treat my vehicle with the affection and care I've lavished on it over the years, I should be able to sell it.

Anyway, that's what I'm going to do - and I know without any doubts that I will regret selling it, but that's just life..... ???

matada34

diffwhine

Quote from: Crumbly65 on Aug 21, 2023, 02:55 PMI found this very interesting.

There are too many imponderables to "What's it Worth?".  There's the worth to me (the regret of selling, the money spent over the years, the spares I've accumulated), the insurance valuation, what the market will bear, what it's worth to somebody who really, really wants my kind of vehicle, as opposed to somebody who just want a classic car runabout.

I'm thinking the best approach for me, is to just pick a figure I want that I feel is fair, put it "out there", and see what happens.

As long as I'm reasonable and not too greedy, or expect the buyer to treat my vehicle with the affection and care I've lavished on it over the years, I should be able to sell it.

Anyway, that's what I'm going to do - and I know without any doubts that I will regret selling it, but that's just life..... ???

There is a forum user who is actively looking for a suitable vehicle to buy at the moment. If you could PM me with some details, we can see if it might be of interest.

Hopeydaze

A lot of Series land Rovers appear on the Collecting Cars auction site.  if you type Land Rover Series in the search box you can see current auctions and recent ones and the price they sold for.  I am assuming these prices are accurate...
It could be a good place to sell your vehicle if its urgent.  You will, however, be pressed to set a low or nil reserve.  This would scare me.
1964 SWB SW. Sold by Land Rover New York, I purchased it in West Virginia, when I lived in the US, brought back to England in 2001

Crumbly65

There is a forum user who is actively looking for a suitable vehicle to buy at the moment. If you could PM me with some details, we can see if it might be of interest.
[/quote]

PM sent.  :cool