News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Floor sealer

Started by Old80, Aug 03, 2023, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old80

Hi all
Looking for advice on the best way to seal the front floor plate that I am replacing as the old plate has corroded through around the screw holes, I have used the black mastic on a roll in the past but I understand that is no longer available......or is it?

TimV

nathanglasgow

Black butyl tape is widely available. 10mm width should do.

GHOBHW

I cut old innertube and use that, seals well, no mess or sticky stuff to deal with :cheers-man

Wittsend

That's what I use ^^^ too.

:RHD

Old80

I like the innertube idea, and I am pretty sure I have an old one knocking about so will give that a try, thank you for the prompt replies 👍

AlexB

is this to stop the water running out ?

Wittsend

I think more to stop the plate rattling. For sure it will hold back any water. Having a couple of drain holes in strategic places should stop water building up because you have sealed in the floor.

The thing about using mastic strips or gutter sealant - both of which work well - until you need to lift the floor plate in the future and you are in a right old "mess". With rubber strips you can just lift the floor plate and do what you have to do and replace the floor when done.

:cool

Old80

Drain holes will not be an option for me as I am fitting a sound proofing kit so trying keep the cab floor as dry as possible.Thought I may even run a bead of silicone around the edge of floor plates as an extra measure. I am sure I will live to regret thiswhen I need access in the future :thud 

Bioheat

I did this when I first got my truck,  and hated my past self 2 years later when I needed to pull the floor out. I will never do that again.  :confused
If I need to seal the floors to stop the rattling, I'll make some sort of gasket.