Started by stevesharpe, Aug 04, 2023, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevesharpe

I plan to move my spare wheel to the bonnet
I have the thin edged bonnet without any fixings today
Does anyone have top tips?
Source for the correct parts?
What type of support rubbers?
How to fit and get the location correct?
Many thanks
Steve

simon1959

If you have a bonnet without the mounting kit etc, I think you would be better off buying a bonnet with all the bits on.

For example this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195910684565?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TrJwOD14SwC&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=7GTHHAGnSjG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The mounting plate, the rubbers buffers etc will add up in cost and then you have to sort. Buy what you want and sell your old bonnet ???

Kaney

I had a 650x16 on the bonnet and changed it for a 750x16 and the L shape bolts aren't long enough now although they still hold it on just be aware of rim size etc

109+1

This is a early bonnet with removable lach plate.

Tom

Dammit! I'd have had that off you when I came to get that front panel Steve. Unfortunately I won't be heading down your way for a while now - typical  :cheers-man

GlenAnderson

Make sure you can comfortably lift a 7.50 onto the bonnet, and that anyone likely to be needing to can do so as well.

I'd also recommend putting one on there and sitting in the driver's seat and seeing just how much it cuts down your forward vision, particularly of stuff close to you on the kerbside. Maybe even strap it down and go for a short drive. A 6.00 is just about ok, but bigger sizes really do get in the way.

Also, make sure your bonnet prop is sound. I had one fail at the pivot once, causing the bonnet to slam shut. Fortunately I was stood at the bench on the other side of the workshop when it happened, so it just made me jump; if I'd had my head under there though, it'd likely have done me a serious injury.

Alan Drover

I wouldn't fancy getting my head under the bonnet with a 40kg Wolf wheel and tyre on the latter especially with the flimsy bonnet prop. That's if I could lift it in the first place.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 05, 2023, 06:25 PMI wouldn't fancy getting my head under the bonnet with a 40kg Wolf wheel and tyre on the latter especially with the flimsy bonnet prop. That's if I could lift it in the first place.

A 7.50 on the bonnet makes it a pretty hefty lift. I definitely wouldn't want a Wolf wheel with a 235 on it mounted on the bonnet.

Craig T

This is the fitting instructions for the kit shown on the bonnet in the photo.
I didn't realise until I fitted the rubber bumpers that they align with the rim of a 16" wheel. They are there to support the wheel should you put a flat tyre up there and bolt it down. The edge of the wheel will hit the bumpers holding it in place.

With an inflated tyre the bumpers do nothing as the tyre itself sits directly on the bonnet.

Craig.

stevesharpe

Really helpful! Many thanks
Steve

Boxoftricks

Thinking about going in the opposite direction as it's bloody heavy to lift the bonnet. Also will improve the view out of the windscreen considerably.

Craig T

I have the carrier on my 109" SW but I have never put a wheel up there.

I assume it was fitted as an after thought either by the dealer or by the previous owner as it has the correct station wagon spare carrier on the rear door. It was exported to Malta when built so maybe they had a habit of carrying two spares out there?

I added the rubber bumpers myself as I had the carrier in the middle of the bonnet, the clamps in the seat locker, but no holes in the bonnet for the bumpers so guess they never fitted them. I had to take a deep breath drilling four holes in my vehicle but think it looks better now the kit is complete again.

Craig.

Birdsnest55

The dished bonnet gives a lot more of a view over the bonnet, but it still weighs the same

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

autorover1

I always had the dished Delux bonnet with the 7.50 x 16 tyre and didnt have a problem with the forward view, but I am 6'2". Having a wheel on a Delux bonnet without the dish would be restrictive.

stevesharpe

Finally got my spare mounted on the bonnet today
I have not fitted the rubber supports yet
The fitting instructions say fit the supports where the rim is - however the tyre hits the bonnet well before the rims so didn't see the point.  Then considered fitting the rubbers at the max bulge of the tyres - however more thought made me think that supporting the tyre on 4 rubbers is still not as good as spreading the weight over more of the tyre. Am I missing something?