News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Moving wheel to bonnet

Started by stevesharpe, Aug 04, 2023, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidss

What you are missing is a puncture, fully deflate the tyre and refit it to the bonnet.
When the tyre is inflated, the tyre wall bulges slightly and touches the bonnet.
When the tyre is deflated the sidewall doesn't bulge, so it is the wheel rim that touches the bonnet.
This dictates the position of the rubber supports.

Regards.

Craig T

As I mentioned in my post (number 8) earlier in this thread....

Craig.

Davidss

Quote from: Craig T on Aug 10, 2023, 08:26 AMAs I mentioned in my post (number 8) earlier in this thread....

Craig.

Sometimes the point needs making twice :-)
My apologies for neglecting your earlier post !!

Regards.

stevesharpe

Your help made all the difference - wheel now nicely (and correctly) fitted
Thanks
Steve

Craig T

Sorry, my post above sounded a bit blunt, wasn't meant that way.  :cheers-man

As David said the rubber bumpers really do nothing until you get a flat then you suddenly realise why they are needed. Without them the steel rim would be bolted down tight and digging into the paint and bonnet.

The fact the tyre touches the paint is another reason I have never tried putting the wheel up there, not sure I could face damaging the paint! Would be fun though just to see what can be seen out the screen with a 750 tyre on a deluxe, non dished bonnet. Not a lot to the left side of the road I would imagine.

Craig.

Hopeydaze

Regarding weight of spare on the bonnet, I have always used a piece of 2 by 1 wood cut at the correct angles to supplement the bonnet stay.  The piece of wood sits nicely in front of the radiator - it's lasted 25 years so far!.
As others have said, you need to think about the weight and lifting the wheel onto the bonnet without damaging your back.  And when its up there how do you periodically check the tyre pressure.

{two posts? - I've been a member since 2001]
1964 SWB SW. Sold by Land Rover New York, I purchased it in West Virginia, when I lived in the US, brought back to England in 2001

richardhula

7.50 sits nicely on razor edge bonnet. One bonus is you don't need to slam shut.

BTW another plus of new forum is that my pics are automatically displayed full width without having to resort to cunning methods to stop them overflowing.
Regards, Richard

stevesharpe

So finally moved my wheel onto the bonnet with all the correct fittings. Drilling 2 1 1/4 in holes for the 2 large retains bolts to go through the bonnet was accomplished with a hole saw for wood.
Am very happy with the job
Steve

w3526602

Hi Hopeydaze,

I, personally, have no recollection of seeing your nom-de-forum previously. My "shrink" (Head of Shrinks in South Wales) told me I have an MQ of 140, which he seemed to find amusing.

Alan may be able to tell you how long I have been a member of both the Club and this Forum.

Strang

This is a 750 on the bonnet of my 88" series one - view not too bad. (Photo taken in Prague returning from a Birmabright Weekend in Kutna Hora)

Strang

The only issue with putting the Spare Wheel back on the bonnet is 'where are you going to put your beer'........

John

Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 05, 2023, 06:25 PMI wouldn't fancy getting my head under the bonnet with a 40kg Wolf wheel and tyre on the latter especially with the flimsy bonnet prop. That's if I could lift it in the first place.
Also my concern was before taking mine off the bonnet was in a shunt the heavy wheel would be straight throug the screen and take my head off :shakinghead
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Strang on Aug 15, 2023, 04:28 PMThis is a 750 on the bonnet of my 88" series one - view not too bad. (Photo taken in Prague returning from a Birmabright Weekend in Kutna Hora)

Don't Series 1s have a higher screen/lower bonnet though?

I think a lot also depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'8" and long legged, so a good stature for a Land-Rover, but not ideally built for seeing over things.

Peter Holden

I dont have my wheel on the bonnet because as I am getting old and decrepit I find it much harder to lift thw wheel omto the bonnet I and I dont like the idea of having to bench press the bonnet to get it open.  The plus side is the stay is fastened with an R clip which is easy to remove and thus put the bonnet back against the screen.  I do secur it there when working in that area

Peter

Alan Drover

I use Land Rover special tool number 2 (a redundant floor mop) to hold the bonnet back against the windscreen and thanks to Diffwhine I now have the correct size R clip to hold the prop in place. The clip is secured with a piece of string. Like Peter I'm getting on a bit and although I can carry a Wolf wheel with a G90 tyre under one arm, lifting it on to the bonnet is a different thing. The spare lives in the back and I can roll it up the adjustable hitch plate.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"