News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Hidden Bluetooth Stereo

Started by MATHA, Aug 09, 2023, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space-Kook

I previously had a little Bluetooth unit like that hidden in the dash, it could be heard over the engine while driving and the sound quality was passable.

This is the one I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Amplifier-Wireless-ZK-1002/dp/B087FG37Z7

I've seen people make mounts that fit into the corners of the door panel that looks quite nice, mine were fitted to the dash. It was a bit ugly though.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

NoBeardNoTopKnot

It's also hard to find understated units and speakers that don't have massive brand-names, and flashing lights. Stock radios from production cars don't go in for all that, find them with plain grills for speakers etc.

The after-market stuff goes for blue LEDs etc etc. Dem iz well wkid, dat iz fat innit?

I found plain stuff in the end - it wasn't easy.

TimV

I put a lot of work into fitting a head unit - mainly for the radio and traffic announcements. I could hear it above the petrol engine.

Once fitted, I just never used it - I pulled it all out in the end.

GlenAnderson

I did similar with an overhead mounting box for my head unit. In the end I took it out because I couldn't see it properly while driving; I needed to peer at it through the bottom bit of my bifocals or I was forever hitting the wrong buttons. Just not safe.

Like the OP, I've come to the conclusion that a Bluetooth receiver and some kind an amplifier is the way to go.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I suppose it's about what you listen to. I do 150-250 miles a week. I'm a heavy BBC World Service/ R3/ Radio 4Xtra listener (less so actual R4) I have a DAB radio in there, it's set to come on when I switch on and off when it's off. Once set that's it. Nothing to charge, hook up to bluetooth etc etc. Don't touch any buttons. It just works. When I require someone to blow smoke up my &*^@ Classic FM.

I used to have a conventinal FM unit, now... that WAS a faff. Forever requiring fiddling to get reception or change volume. And only BBC R4 on FM.

It's a Kenwood KMM-BT508 . Ignore the 'orrible green shown in the link. You can mute all the flashing lights, way, way down, and mounted  high up with the rear mirror, it's out of sight. Mine's a gentle warm amber display, same colour/ intensity as speedo bulbs

Head Unit

Univetsal

Use an LG PL7 here, Bluetooth speaker, sits on the shelf nicely, plenty loud enough, (flashy lights turned off!)
Useful for bbq's, camping, etc...

Rusty66

I use Apple AirPods Pro 2 on long motorway (night) rides. They have excellent active noise cancelling to the extent that you forget you're in a (very noisy) car. Work excellent in any noisy environment, like on a plane, ferry cabin, when the kids are at home ...
Which means they are a bit unsafe and probably not legal to drive with. But if the road is empty ...
The jbl speakers you can crank up quite loud. But I wonder how safe that is, also for your ears.
With the next update the AirPods are supposed to be programmable so that certain sounds will come through, like eg sirens.

Boxoftricks

I've got a UE BOOM which I've had for years when camping which just sits in the dash and can easily be heard above the V8 petrol however it will not play whilst being charged up.  I'd like one similar I can hard wire in to charge whilst driving. Maybe incorporate it into the cubby box so out of site.