News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Diesel back to petrol

Started by Bigdog, Aug 12, 2023, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi everyone, I know I have probably asked the question before but I am going to ask again, as most of you know I am doing up my 1970 series 2a 109 ex military, it started life as a 2 1/4 petrol then changed to the 2 1/4 diesel, my question is am I at this stage better to go back to original petrol engine as I know the diesel engine runs but not 💯 sure of its condition so was thinking since I have access to the engine bay is the time now to change, I would like to keep as much original as possible, also although I have ordered the new wiring loom for the diesel engine I believe I can alter to suit a petrol one, and finally does it have any impact on my historic status with dvla if it goes back to petrol as it's currently registered as diesel, sorry about the long question

Alan Drover

I think it's up to you really but it won't have any repercussions on historic tax/MOT exemption because the replacement petrol engine will be a proper Land Rover one. A non Land Rover engine would of course be a different kettle of fish as historic tax/MOT exemption would be lost.
With a petrol engine there are 2 main unobtainium components, original distributor and carburettor. You'd have to find a suitable Zenith 36IV and a proper distributor for reconditioning as, speaking from bitter experience, the nasty Chinese copies are absolute junk.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

It won't be so much finding a decent dizzy and carb, they're easily available if you're looking. It's to be about cost.  Fashions have changed.

2.25 diesels are at near weigh-in prices. Petrol lumps keep passing one price point after another. Unless the wallet is fat, the choice is made for you.

If you still have the petrol then good for you, if you don't want it, you're set for a windfall. It'll pay for you to indulge the diesel.

It's about what you want, in my mind anyone that rids themselves of a petrol must be prepared to regret it.

Bigdog

I don't have the petrol engine but would be looking for one if I decide to change from diesel

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Seems you've answered your own question.

GHOBHW

diesels are better than petrols anyway, everyone knows it but won't accept it :RHD

or maybe I can't hear them anymore.....

a decent petrol will set you back these days, but you might get lucky. personally I'd keep the diesel, its a good engine, despite what everyone usually says. set up properly they'll be on par with petrols, just a bit louder.

Alan Drover

The fuel consumption of a diesel is considerably less than that of a petrol but the petrol engine is better on performance. With overdrive on a long journey I can achieve 22 mpg but a diesel would be better.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

So probably not worth bothering about changing from diesel to patrol then as not much difference, just maybe thought petrol was more suited to the series 2a 109, thanks

Alan Drover

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
If you're happy with the status quo, then leave as is.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

That's my problem, I have started the engine but never drove it as I am doing it up and that's why I was wondering while at this stage should I change to petrol

Alan Drover

Diesel is better for economy, petrol for performance.
You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Just didn't know if a petrol one is more desirable

Alan Drover

The ball's in your court.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

VOD80

From my point of view/experience:

I've not driven a petrol Series 2 but did have a 2l spreadbore Series One 107. I now have a diesel Series 2 109.

The 107 was great fun to drive and was comfortable at 80/90kph (50-60ish mph)

My diesel 109 is much noisier - significantly noisier - and feels very much like it is being thrashed when doing 80kph.

I'm getting used to it now and it is sort of run-in and it isn't too scary on the French equivalent of the B roads - I can keep up under most conditions, just long hills and a big gap between 4th and 3rd gears is a bit of a pain.

My injection pump needs some fine tuning - I have a little trail of black smoke but I do manage to get about 30mpg.

So, noisy but good fun once you get used to it but still "feels" happiest at 40mph.

So, I did worry about the diesel at the beginning but it's grown on me!

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Bigdog on Aug 13, 2023, 05:24 PMJust didn't know if a petrol one is more desirable

You ask of desirability? It's good you use the word 'desirabe' over 'better or worse', or 'worth'.

eBay will show a fair quantity of diesel engines, they don't seem to sell until dirt cheap.
Unless you find someone not knowing what they have, petrol 2.25s will sell for x4, perhaps x5 the price of a similar 2.25 diesel lump, and sell quick. £1200 is entry-level. S2 sell for rather more than S3. 5MB go daft.

All this is good for you, if you're right about your diesel being a dog, a direct replacement remains cheap, and is easy to find. Cheaper than a rebuild too?