News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Diesel back to petrol

Started by Bigdog, Aug 12, 2023, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Many years ago we wrecked the 2286 Diesel engine in the family series III and replaced it with a petrol unit.

We needed a different ignition switch as the Diesel one didn't have the feed for the always on ignition coil. You may not need that if it was originally a petrol.
It needed a choke cable fitting in place of the Diesel stop cable.
The accelerator linkage was quite different and we needed to raid a scrap vehicle to get all the bits for that.

The rest of the conversion was dead easy. It was like for like swap really and just the return line on the fuel tank needed a blanking plate making. Drained the fuel tank, filled it with petrol and off it went.
It was a different vehicle afterwards though. You could barely tell it was running it was so smooth and you could talk to others while driving, Family trips used to be in silence, now we spoke about things on the way....

Craig.

John

I was reading this thread but except for wanting a "original" engine in your Land Rover why  ???
Some years ago I removed the 2.25 petrol engine and fitted a 200tdi, which I still think was the best thing I ever did on my 11a :gold-cup
In my 2 86" I have a original 2.0 petrol and in the other a 2.5 petrol, both great engines but neither have the power of the tdi which is far better as a daily driver
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

NoBeardNoTopKnot

You're one of the last of a breed.

Peter Holden

I have to own up to being the the process of rebuilding a 2Lire spreadbore engine to fit in my June 58.  It had this type of engine from new but now has a S3 5 bearing diesel.  I know how to sort my ignition and starter and it is the choke cable that is used as the stop control.

You may ask why, well it should have a 2L petrol the land rover is far from a rivet counters machine but a well built version of this engine with a properly balanced bottom end and inlet and exhaust ports cleaned up is a joy to drive and on tickover so quiet you dont know it is running

Peter

John

Quote from: Peter Holden on Aug 14, 2023, 04:54 PMI have to own up to being the the process of rebuilding a 2Lire spreadbore engine to fit in my June 58.  It had this type of engine from new but now has a S3 5 bearing diesel.  I know how to sort my ignition and starter and it is the choke cable that is used as the stop control.

You may ask why, well it should have a 2L petrol the land rover is far from a rivet counters machine but a well built version of this engine with a properly balanced bottom end and inlet and exhaust ports cleaned up is a joy to drive and on tickover so quiet you dont know it is running

Peter

Your so right in what you say about the 2.0 petrol unit, mine is a simese bore with under 65.000 miles since new (and I have a good spread bore on the garage floor as a spare) The 2.0 petrol unit is smooth and was good enough for a Rover car, more refined that the 2.25 unit, I did about 80 miles with it on Sunday and it pulls like a dream :gold-cup
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Peter Holden

I cant understand hy anyone would want to take one out.  Mine will be mated to a S3 gearbox using a S3 6 cylinder bellhousing

Having said that I took the land rover from Chorley to Cromford and back towing a trailer with the clubs balance beam on it which meant it had to work hard and the diesel returned 23mpg.  It also survived 2 days green laning and we covered the best part of 400 miles all told

Peter

Bigdog

There is nothing wrong with my diesel engine, I was just wondering if I ever went to sell it then maybe the patrol would be more desirable, probably just stay with the diesel 2 1/4 engine

Bigdog

What if I never bothered about keeping it original and fitted a 200 TDI in it, would these engines fit in ok and would it make a difference, also what effect would it have with dvla etc

GHOBHW

200tdi is a solid upgrade and should have zero issues with the DVLA as its a land rover engine and even uses bits from the earlier engines. so can be argued that its a direct continuation.

lots of people have them

Wittsend

It comes down really to how you are going to use the vehicle ???

... as an everyday driver ? Then how far are your intended journeys.
Are you planing long motorway trips. Do you live in the hills. Do you plan on doing a lot of towing - and so on.

As ever with this type of question, you need to "try-before-you-buy" but the opportunities in Scotland may not avail themselves as we have fewer members and meetings up there.

I would drive your vehicle with what you have first and see how you get on with it.

:RHD

Birdsnest55

I have a 200, not driven it much yet.
There are issues fitting them into a 109.
I used a 300 turbo, gives more room.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Bigdog

I only plan on using it on weekends really, we don't have motorways near us, I would love to come to one of the meetings once I have done it up but it's the distance which would be my problem, probably stick with the 2 1/4 diesel

Peter Holden

Wittsends try before you buy is valid advice.

I am fortunate as I hve plenty of experience of the engine I wish to fit and I like it which is why i am makink the change

Peter

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Bigdog on Aug 14, 2023, 08:23 PMprobably stick with the 2 1/4 diesel
We always like a happy ending.

Bigdog

Hi everyone, I have decided to install a 2 1/4 petrol back into my series 2a 109, got offered a nice one today and decided to go for it