News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

V11 tax reminder

Started by Gibbo103, Aug 15, 2023, 07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibbo103

I just found out that dvla are no longer sending out v11 tax reminder letters in the post, but just a text or email. What happens if like my wife, you don't have mobile phone or computer?

chipbury

I got a paper one yesterday for the Lightweight.

109+1

I got a paper one last week taxed it yesterday.

Kev

Write it on the calendar.👍

GlenAnderson

Write the expiry date down on a bit of paper and put it on the windscreen?

N

That's not what the DVLA'S website says:

From today (2 August 2023), motorists can opt for digital vehicle tax reminders rather than having to wait for a paper reminder to drop through their letter box. The change comes as part of DVLA's new Driver and vehicles account service, which launches on GOV.UK today

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-launches-new-online-account-for-motorists

Wittsend

"Service" a modernday buzz word which means the opposite of what the dictionary definition is.

In other words - the public, the customers, the users get a lesser service.
Like when they closed all the local DVLA offices  :shakinghead

Or like when the Police stopped being a force and became a service  :thud

All designed to save them money to increase their profits.

Oddjob

We didn't get a reminder last month, nor did my mother in law but luckily she's more on the ball than me and knew her car tax was running out (and she's 93!)
Don't mind them stopping the service but it would of been nice if they let us know especially when you need the code off the letter or to find the V5 to renew the tax.

:cheers-man

Craig T

Hmmm, Good thing you posted that, my Range Rover ran out of tax at the beginning of this month....

Good thing I can't afford to run it so it hasn't been anywhere since....   ???

Craig.

N

Quote from: Oddjob on Aug 15, 2023, 09:27 AMDon't mind them stopping the service but it would of been nice if they let us know especially when you need the code off the letter or to find the V5 to renew the tax.

Well the good news is that the DVLA are not stopping sending paper reminders. They have simply introduced a way for users to request a reminder by email or text message and OPTIONALLY choose not get paper.

Wittsend

So THAT is a service - giving the punters an option.

I put a reminder in my phone calendar, repeats every year or until I delete it.

I apologise for slagging off the DVLA.

(Still think they should have kept the regional offices open.)

:RHD

Smokey 11a

Strange, just had 2 arrive in the post for September the 1st tax.

Quote from: Gibbo103 on Aug 15, 2023, 07:11 AMI just found out that dvla are no longer sending out v11 tax reminder letters in the post, but just a text or email. What happens if like my wife, you don't have mobile phone or computer?

I too am without phone or computer encumbrance, good to know there are others.

With regard to dvla, I recall they did away with repeat prescriptions for long term sorned motors in an attempts to cut costs but live on the road vehicles still get the paper reminder or at least mine do.

I suppose they could be filtering and adapting to the method people renew by.  I do it from reminder letter over the landline telephone.

I do miss the physical tax disc but not the cost of it for non exempts.

Strang

Yeah I just received a paper one for my Series One, and the missus got a paper one for her mini.

w3526602

Hi,

When I was at DVLC (I retired in 1985, on the advice of the "Head Shrink" in South Wales), I was told that by the time I had drafted a letter, had it approved, sent it to Typing, checked what had been typed, signed the final draft, and posted it ... all with Clerical and Executive assistance .... it was cheaper to telephone the customer.

On the other hand, Barbara woke up one morning, in a "tizzy" ... As Contracts Manager, she had approved payment of the telephone bill, but could not remember "sending" it.

I asked when payment was due? "Last Friday". This was Tuesday, so I suggested she sent it today.

"They will charge us interest!"

How much was it?

Lets say that a double rollover on LOTTO, would not have covered it.  :thud

When she got to work, she found that "somebody" had posted it ... but she never found out who. ???

She said that the difference between her household budget, and her "Mandate" made concentrating a smidgen difficult when shopping.