News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Winch

Started by Bigdog, Aug 16, 2023, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Can you please post a pic of your winch set up as I am looking for ideas, do you all use a pto one or maybe just an ordinary remote one, thanks

William

I've just restored the Wreckers International winch which was fitted to my 2a. An early 1970s 12v 8,000 pound winch. Simple, utterly reliable and immensely strong.

Alan Drover

This is a engine driven Fairey capstan winch on my Series 3.
Sorry, it's sideways.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

I have had 3 various LR Hydraulic front winches , on s2A/S3/One Ten, which suited me doing mainly vehicle recovery on Car rallies & LR events . They could  run all day with no battery charging issues  as long as I had diesel in the tank and the overload protection was simple , no shear pins that were used on mechanical ones You cannot view this attachment.

For day in day out, money no object I would opt for hydraulic, mechanical and electric in the that order.

John

My concern with all the types of bumper mounted winch is that all the load/pull is on the 4 bolts through the front 3" of chassis, OK perhaps with a new chassis but as they get older I have concerns :shakinghead
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

autorover1

Quote from: John on Aug 17, 2023, 01:25 PMMy concern with all the types of bumper mounted winch is that all the load/pull is on the 4 bolts through the front 3" of chassis, OK perhaps with a new chassis but as they get older I have concerns :shakinghead
The winches I had all mounted to the number two cross member as well as the bumper mountings, so the load was divided between the two . I wouldn't council any substantial winch only mounted to the front end of the chassis

Another consideration, in addition to the chassis condition is the weight of a winch slung out front.

The change in handling even when driven sensibly I have been told is alarming.

Unless you intend to have a counter weight like a coles iron fairey.

Not sure of the exact reason but, the 101 ended up with a centre mounted winch.

Best guess is so it could be deployed at either end, rather than weight distribution.

George P

Here is mine, I imported the bumper from Rovers North in the USA

IanS2A

That looks great, whats the details on the winch & bumper?

Oddjob

Here's mine. Simple L shaped mount that's rivnuted to the crossmember and bolted to the bumper. I just cut a hole through the bumper for the rope.
Not noticed any change in the handling, still corners like a wobbly boat.

:cheers-man 

Bigdog

Thanks for all the replies and pictures it's much appreciated, so,would this one definitely not fit, think it came of a defender

Gareth

Here is the Mayflower PTO winch fitted to my 109. I modified the fairlead so it could run a plasma rope.

It runs from a pto on the transfer box, had a selector lever next to the handbrake and can 'drive' in all 4 gears for super slow, slow, medium, and fast winching. Also reverse to spool out.

I have a few spare brass shear pins, kept in the vehicle, but never needed one. It works really well and no doubt would pull the side off your house given the chance.

It is very, very heavy and needed me to uprate the front parabolic springs after one of them snapped.

w3526602

Hi,

Has having the front bumper held on by two 5/16" bolts at each bend, ever caused anybody a "spare trousers" moment? The tow-ball manufactures seem to think that 5/8"/16mm fasteners are required to hold the ball the bumper

Possibly worth an upgrade if ordering a new "expedition" chassis???

PS. A "loaded" tow-ball, breaking free will really enjoy the catapult effect of a cable unloading all those "Hookes". When in that sort of situation, I usually try to drape some sort of "parachute" over the potential projectile

George P

Quote from: IanS2A on Aug 17, 2023, 06:21 PMThat looks great, whats the details on the winch & bumper?

Hi Ian, I got the bumper from Rovers North in the USA, although I don't think that they do it anymore?

The Winch is Warn https://www.4x4at.com/warn-vr-evo-10-s-synthetic-electric-12v-winch-with-wireless-controller?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfymBhCTARIsADXTablBCQhN7ihrl-3U2TqlXOFdQzzsRvYj2JqpyfyqP2qTaNg3qyFd6XkaAsj0EALw_wcB