News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

SS3

Started by Telemuhcaster, Aug 19, 2023, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemuhcaster

I have SS3 (the first symbol is a bit hard to read but I think it's an S) painted on the side of my S2 2.25 block. Anyone have any info on it? I don't have any pictures to hand but can get some tomorrow if needed.

All the best

GHOBHW

pictured would help incase it is anything odd/special

most likely just markings from the factory though, my original engine has some numbers painted on the block too.

Telemuhcaster

Here is a picture

Tom

'They're all like that sir'

That looks like a 1510 or 1511 prefix block, so series 2. Mine had numbers painted in white on the side of the block the same as this, but mine was 3 digits, not letters.

They were factory identification marks so assembly staff could see at a glance which block they were working on. When I repainted my engine, I repainted the white numbers, but the paint has faded to almost nothing now!

Larry S

I found something similar on mine, but on the crankshaft.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Craig T

My series one engine had that as well, looked like 390 on my one. Not sure what paint the foundry used but all the Land Rover grey had gone but the stencil remained!

I too was lead to believe they were simply foundry casting marks. Maybe back in the month they were made they could trace the metal used in that batch, trace the mould, trace the shift that made it or something but now, all meaning lost in time.

Craig.