News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Understanding Chassis Numbers?

Started by TJRL, Apr 28, 2024, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJRL

I am sure there is a list on here somewhere giving information on what each character/digit in a chassis number means, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Can anyone point me to where I can this information?

Many thanks   :cheers-man

diffwhine

In the front of every parts book, there should be a breakdown of what you need.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

TJRL

Wittsend

Land Rover Series manuals are there to be browsed on our website ....

Mycroft

Attached is a table I made for the Club Database for sIIs - hope it helps.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

TJRL

So I see that the first four digits tell me the year, LHD/RHD, home or export and if CKD or not.

I had thought there was a way of telling the basic body style as well? E.g. if a station wagon, truck cab etc. But it seems I was mistaken as the info at the front of the parts manuals does not show this level of detail.

Anyway, Thanks all.   :cheers

Mycroft

That came later - 1965 for 88" IIa SWs IIRC. Until then, all 88"s were jumbled together

:cheers-man

diffwhine

No - they only differentiated Station Wagons from mid 1965. Prior to that, they were all lumped together.
After mid 1965, it's easy to spot a Station Wagon number, but the rest are all lumped together.
It's easier from 1979 onwards following the introduction of VINs as you can break it down far more precisely.

TJRL

Quote from: diffwhine on Apr 28, 2024, 05:10 PMNo - they only differentiated Station Wagons from mid 1965. Prior to that, they were all lumped together.
After mid 1965, it's easy to spot a Station Wagon number, but the rest are all lumped together.
It's easier from 1979 onwards following the introduction of VINs as you can break it down far more precisely.

Thanks for this (and also Mycroft) - Everyday is a learning day.

:cheers-man

Wittsend

You can obtain a "Heritage" certificate from the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, they cost a lot for very little information.
Not worth the money, but looks good in your man-cave or office and would make a nice present.
It is a copy of the factory record and you just get basic information.
You don't even get the engine (or gearbox) number - Land Rover never recorded that information.

What you do get is confirmation of the Build date and the Dispatch Date (the date Land Rover considered the vehicle to have been "made"). You also get the name of the dealership the vehicle went to. This can help with the working out what the registration number was and if that local authority still has the registration details.

diffwhine

Just to add to Wittsend's post, Land Rover and Rover did record the engine numbers - especially for export as you cannot export a new vehicle without an engine number on the shipping docs. When I asked Traceability in the mid 1990s to give me some details on a LR 80" Tickford Station Wagon we were restoring, they came back with everything - engine number, axle numbers, gearbox number, key numbers. They did the same for my first Land Rover - a 1965 88". The data was there, but over the years, the various sources of the information have got separated. When the data was transferred to Gaydon, only the absolute basic info got moved. Its a real shame as it was all there.

Mycroft

Quote from: Wittsend on Apr 28, 2024, 08:57 PMYou can obtain a "Heritage" certificate from the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, they cost a lot for very little information.
Not worth the money, but looks good in your man-cave or office and would make a nice present.
It is a copy of the factory record and you just get basic information.
You don't even get the engine (or gearbox) number - Land Rover never recorded that information.

What you do get is confirmation of the Build date and the Dispatch Date (the date Land Rover considered the vehicle to have been "made"). You also get the name of the dealership the vehicle went to. This can help with the working out what the registration number was and if that local authority still has the registration details.

Spookily I'd just finished updating your Database entry when I saw this W. It's listed on Crossmember as Navy Blue - is it in fact Marine Blue? Cheers J

Wittsend

Yes, because I painted it dark blue .... which was the colour when I sold it on.

I mixed the colour myself ... one can of Hammerite Blue with one can of Hammerite Black  :gold-cup

:RHD

Mycroft

Perfect - thanks. Navy blue it shall remain!  :cheers-man