News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Series sounds!

Started by haveyoubooked, Apr 08, 2024, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyoubooked

Evening all,

Finally got my double SU pump installed following rebuilding it a couple of weeks back.

Hooked it up and turned the ignition on and as the syncopated "click,click" sound gradually synchronised into a perfectly timed double click as the line pressure balanced, I thought - "there's a sound that I've missed for too long".

Anyone got a sound they wouldn't be without on their series? Or maybe it's just me being sentimental high on petrol fumes!

diffwhine

For me, its not a sound as pretty much any sound spells trouble in my book... I prefer smells - and in particular the smell of burnt mud on a hot petrol exhaust.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GHOBHW

I can't hear any sounds other than the diesel engine, but that sounds good I guess ???

Gareth

First gear. It's a classic sound.

Larry S

Sound and smell...  the engine when tuned nicely, and the general smell of the engine once it has warmed up.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Craig T

The whine of the straight cut first gear....

Craig.

Eve

The sound (more accurately, the lack of a scrunching sound) of a beautifully executed double declutch, when brake, clutch and accelerator pedals are co-ordinated to perfection as you change gear from 3rd to 2nd approaching a road junction using a 2a gearbox that doesn't have syncromesh on 2nd gear  :RHD

Craig T

Quote from: Eve on Apr 09, 2024, 11:31 AMThe sound (more accurately, the lack of a scrunching sound) of a beautifully executed double declutch, when brake, clutch and accelerator pedals are co-ordinated to perfection as you change gear from 3rd to 2nd approaching a road junction using a 2a gearbox that doesn't have syncromesh on 2nd gear  :RHD

Something I need to learn when I get my series one back on the road.

I drove my IIA around for years wondering what all the fuss was about series 2 gearboxes then I looked up the part number on the factory rebuild plate attached to the bellhousing and found out I had a fully synchro box installed.....  :thud

Craig.

Adam1958

Quote from: Eve on Apr 09, 2024, 11:31 AMThe sound (more accurately, the lack of a scrunching sound) of a beautifully executed double declutch, when brake, clutch and accelerator pedals are co-ordinated to perfection as you change gear from 3rd to 2nd approaching a road junction using a 2a gearbox that doesn't have syncromesh on 2nd gear  :RHD

I was thinking exactly this... the little throttle blip, followed by that rifle-bolt click that a good downshift makes whilst on the brakes... I think the pleasure in that sound is 50% to do with the lack of the nasty crunching when one royally cocks it up.

Exile

When you've been double de-clutching  for over half a century, it becomes second nature and you don't even notice you are doing it. :pedal

The sound of a 6-pot petrol idling.

The sound of a 2lt diesel idling.

The sound of a V8 accelerating.

All lovely sounds.

The sound of someone saying "You've won the Lottery" - even better.

Wittsend

A zapping noise followed by a flash and clouds of smoke  :thud

Paul4978

The bonnet closing, with a heavy wheel on it.
Not sure why...

Alan Drover

Quote from: Paul4978 on Apr 09, 2024, 11:14 PMThe bonnet closing, with a heavy wheel on it.
Not sure why...
....and the groans and creaking joints when lifting a bonnet with a heavy wheel on it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Archie

The satisfying whine, when you lift off and decelerate.

Modern cars have so much sound deadening that you don't appreciate it, unless it's a performance car.

Yes, my series 2a is like a performance car  :cool
Archie

NoBeardNoTopKnot

My fav sound can't be well described. You 'd have hear it. I have a recording, unfortunately this forum won't allow uploads of MP3 sound format files.