News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Engine block - paint or not?

Started by GB, Apr 09, 2024, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GB

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here. My 1963 SIIA is currently undergoing an engine recondition as it was using lots of oil and cylinders were v worn. I wanted to keep the original engine as I am trying to keep the car as original as possible.

The engine is nearly ready to be reassembled but I am really in two minds about repainting the engine block before it goes back in. Part of me wants to keep the remnants of the original paint that is still left whilst the other side of me feels I ought to paint it now as I hopefully won't have the engine out again!

I would appreciate any thoughts/if anyone has reconditioned an engine and not wanted to repaint before putting back in.

I've attached a photo of the block now

dpmstevens

I'm not repainting mine. This is partly because I want the vehicle to wear its age inside and out, and partly because if I spend any more time refinishing things I will never get the Land Rover done. Unless it's pure rust, I'm not painting anything. I have considerably less original paint than yours (i.e none) so it's not for reasons of originality, more time and appearance.

It might look dreadful after a year of use but I'm willing to take the risk. 

simonbav

I understand your dilemma, GB. I've similarly been sitting on the fence over mine. Finding a balance I'm content with is repairing what needs it and making good while not intentionally wiping away sixty-three years of use.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Gareth

They do look nice when painted though.

biloxi

I painted mine with the only enamel paint I had at hand, which was dark green. Mistake. It's hard to work in a dark engine bay.
Next time I would use a light colour to create more contrast. If there are only patches of the original light blue paint left,
then they serve no purpose at all.
.W.

GB

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to see it fitted unpainted @simonbav. It would certainly look nicer painted but I do like it looking its age.

diffwhine

You probably should have some coating on it. If it has been rebuilt properly, it won't be liberally doused in engine oil (apart from the breathers). Won't you just get a coating of rust? How about some sot of lacquer? How good is Owatrol at coping with heat?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

TimV

When mine was rebuilt, I had it acid dipped which cleaned the old paint off but more importantly, cleaned the water passages. No more rusty coolant.

GB

@diffwhine yes I suppose it may rust on the outside. @TimV, did you have it painted after being acid dipped?

geoff

GB I'm not familiar with your vehicle so I'd ask what is the rest of the vehicle like in terms of paint both inside and out ?

Hard to give an answer otherwise

Wittsend

It's your car do as you wish.

If it were mine, I would paint the block. A nice clean block helps spot and trace any fluid leaks as they happen.

:RHD

geoff

I'd echo the above  :cheers-man

If you use the correct colour for the year you won't go far wrong, if you are unsure do a search or ask for the colour.

I find that if you use the vehicle then the engine bay soon takes on some age to the point that everything just looks nicely aged but well kept.

TimV

Quote from: GB on Apr 10, 2024, 01:26 PM@diffwhine yes I suppose it may rust on the outside. @TimV, did you have it painted after being acid dipped?
Yes, it was immediately painted. Otherwise it would have flash rusted.

Exile

I have experience of two recently rebuilt engines.

One is a 5mb 2.25 petrol which I asked the rebuilder not to paint.

The other is a 2lt diesel which I also asked the (different) rebuilder not to paint.

The first engine has gone rusty, because it was thoroughly cleaned at the rebuilder's.
It doesn't look particularly good in the engine bay, despite its surroundings staying in original condition.

The second engine I repainted myself at the last moment, after many of the ancillaries had been re-fitted, when I realised it was also going to rust and look horrible.

So my recommendation would be to re-paint.

JReid

I'm one for painting, as bits are refurbished I also tend to clean and/or paint....a bit of a faf but I can (as Wittsend points out) see any new leaks.