News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Canvas or not

Started by Bigdog, Apr 10, 2024, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi, I know it's my decision but just wanted your thoughts on either canvas or just left open with no canvas, thanks

Archie

I'd say leave off the cover.
It's a truck cab.

Unless you want to protect something frome the elements.
Archie

Countryview

Canvas for me personally as I think they look better with a tilt rather than open but that's just my personal preference. Also good to leave non valuable items in the back out of show too.
1959 88" Series 2

JohnR2

I would go for no tilt as that's a big area of canvas - looks cleaner without.

Bigdog

I have the original canvas for it

Exile

Two of your photos show a full tilt, whilst two show a truck cab.

IMO, the best combination is a truck cab and three-quarter tilt.

Because it is super practical.
It looks good.
And you dont't see so many like that.

The Military used a lot of 109's with the full tilt, but I would suggest that they are not the best configuration for everyday civilian use - unless you are a passionate topless driver in Summer.

(But is it worth taking the top off for the one day of Summer in Scotland? ;) )

Bigdog

The full tilt just goes over my cab and fits to my windscreen so it looks like a full tilt canvas but the cab stays on if that makes sense

Gareth

Quote from: Bigdog on Apr 10, 2024, 05:58 PMThe full tilt just goes over my cab and fits to my windscreen so it looks like a full tilt canvas but the cab stays on if that makes sense

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that! I ran my 109 for years as a full tilt. A couple of years ago I got a truck cab and thought I'd give it a go.

First thing is that a full tilt is much quieter on the road. The cab is like an echo chamber. The cab is just as damp on the inside - in fact it generates its own weather in the form of rain from the condensation!

The one thing that prevents me from refitting the full tilt is the dubious quality of new replacements.

diffwhine

First time I saw that tilt over a truck cab arrangement was in an episode of The Professionals. I'll try and screen grab it if I can find the episode. It actually makes good sense although presumably stretches the canvas a bit over the front gutter and leaves no vertical B pillar channels so the canvas will flap a bit.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

Not sure what pictures you need but here is some, it came with a second shorter canvas as per picture

Gareth

Ok thanks. I was wondering how the crocs teeth were attached.

My full hood set has a rail that bolts to the top of the windscreen, and plates each side. The B pillars also have channels to keep the canvas in place.

I personally like the look of the 3/4 canvas with truck cab. I wouldn't leave it as a full pickup, especially if it lives outside. I'm sure it would accelerate corrosion weak spots in the rear tub.