News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Cover for top off soft top 2a

Started by srjcox, Apr 10, 2024, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjcox

Hi all, I've got a series 2a which is an 88 soft top, but don't have a garage

Taking the door tops off and all the hoops is a right faff, and whilst it's possible to just take the canvas off and leave them on, for a quick use, I prefer the full top off mode.

As such, I was hoping to find a company that makes car covers for the car in full top off mode, so I can top off now and leave it off until end of summer, making use easier.

Has anyone come across this? I've tried to search, potentially badly, to no avail.

Sam

Space-Kook

They are expensive but Land Rover Classic do custom covers, you send them pics and they design it specifically to your car.
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/locover-custom-outdoor-car-cover.html
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

diffwhine

I'm sure somewhere I've seen one of those open classic sports car covers tailored for a Series LR SWB. Have you asked any of the main suppliers if they can make something? Clearly round the tub would be easy to secure. Not so sure at the front as it would need to be a very good fit and taut to stop water pooling.

The other option is to talk to a boat cover maker. Maybe ask in somewhere like Chichester Marina?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Tom

I'm not aware of any, been keeping an eye out for years!
Do please let us know if you find one - my s2 is topless all year round and I'd find one of those covers really useful too!

Ken

If I understand you correctly what you're looking for is what on a traditional sports car would be a tonneau cover. A flat area of canvas which fits over the entire area of the open car to close it from weather when not being used.
They extend just over the edges on sides and back and are held by either lift the dot fasteners or another type. Where they meet the steering wheel they have a half round glove sown into them that fits over it.
Typically there is a zip from the front in the centre that extends back to just behind the driver's seat so you can open the quarter you're sitting in to drive leaving the other three quarters covered.
I have one on my vintage Chrysler which is just over 1 metre wide and 2 metres long.
I made a pattern from calico, cut double duck to suit and had a trimmer sew the edge binding and zip. The lift the dots  I fitted myself.
It should be possible with some thought to install the lift the dot male fittings on a Land Rover.

Gareth

I remember the days when we used to get warm dry summers! I took all the bits off my 109 for the whole of the summer. I simply used a B&Q tarp and a load of bungee cords.

srjcox

Thank you all for your responses so far. I'll reach out to companies in line with the suggestions. The possible complication is the seatbelt bar, so not just a flat tonneau cover.

srjcox

Mycroft

I have this tonneau cover on my sIII. Paired with a bikini top, it would give you some peace of mind although maybe you'd have to order something bespoke if you have a seatbelt bar. I got mine from Dean Barker, who is on Facebook and eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305428816909). And there's also Guy Ropenall on FB who occasionally does bespoke work.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

Uffddd

Quote from: srjcox on Apr 11, 2024, 10:36 AMThank you all for your responses so far. I'll reach out to companies in line with the suggestions. The possible complication is the seatbelt bar, so not just a flat tonneau cover.

Probably a good thing, it'll create a ridge and help drainage. Problem with a flat tonneau cover is they can easily start to collect water.