News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Help with gearbox id please

Started by carrownisky, Apr 11, 2024, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carrownisky

Hi Still trying to date my rolling chassis

Thanks for helping me identify the engine (5MB 2.25) and the swan neck exhaust manifold. Finally found the gearbox numbers which were not in the usual place - see pic
Think this number reads 25200204 C which I think is a series 2 not 2A box - can this number be dated? The rolling chassis was bought over 10 years ago with no ID
Thanks in advance for your help

Peter

Richard

I have 25222986C, which, according to the PO, is the original gearbox of my 1964 Series 2a.
Richard
'64 S2a

carrownisky

Thanks Richard - is your gearbox stamped in the same location as the picture? - at right angles to the usual place as in this pic? Do you know if the gearboxes stamped in different places differ in any other way?

GHOBHW

the 252 gearbox is a 2A gearbox from around 1964-1966. though with the low numbers it will be an earlier rather than later.

series 3s usually had it stamped on the transfer box later on in the 70s.

the 902 is a series 3 serial number

Richard

I don't remember :confused Picture below. Maybe you recognize the location.
Richard
'64 S2a

GHOBHW

thats the 'normal' location you expect to find them for series 2/2As

252 C suffix again so 64-66 year

biloxi

I believe the early S3 901.....A  synchro gearboxes had the number stamped in the usual place. on the top cover. On one of the
corners of the cover is usually a small mating mark corresponding with the same mark on the gearbox. The gearbox housing was the same as
used on S2As, the same cast number. Later S3 synchro gearboxes had the serial number stamped on the transfer case. By mixing parts
it is possible to end up with 2 different numbers or no number at all.
One  way to  find out whether it's a synchro or non-synchro box, without opening up the gearbox, is to remove the selector steel
cover plate held on by 2 countersunk screws.
If all 3 shafts have got plain ends, its a all-synchro  box.
If the centre 1st-2nd gear shaft has got a stop attached, it's a non-synchro crash box.
I found all this out when I bought a S3 box believing it was a 2A
Later S3 gearboxes have got different reinforced casings. These are my personal observations, happy to be corrected.
.W.

carrownisky

Thanks all apologies for my ignorance re location of number