News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Grab Handles - Rear of 2A Lightweight

Started by diffwhine, Sep 28, 2023, 05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

On Series Ones, you could get handles that fitted on the rear body either side of the tailgate so rear passengers had something to hang on to. I have a feeling that a similar handle was fitted either side on Lightweights / Rover 1s. Am I correct and if so, does anybody have any pictures of the handles in position? Radfords have done some nice ones for Series Ones and I'm thinking of trying to see if he will do the correct handles for my LWT. It looks like there are locating holes in the rear capping, so something was bolted there.

They are not the same as any civilian grab handles, or the bulkhead grab handle or the rear cross member handles as far as I can work out!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

chipbury

Hello,
There were no grab handles as you describe fitted to my 2A lightweight when I bought it.
I've got a few books on lightweights with plenty pictures, but unfortunately i've been dragged off to work again for a few weeks!
Cheers,
Chris

diffwhine

Thanks Chris.

Likewise, none on mine. The Lightweight books I have mention the handles, but I've not seen them or found them in any equipment schedule. I suspect in reality they may have got bent and in the way in service and just removed and scrapped.

Enjoy bobbing about in whichever ocean you are and remember not to pull the plug out...

O7BE16

There are no Series 1 type grab handles on the rear tub of Lightweights. There is however a 'steel pipe' that can be fitted between the bulkhead and the 'hole' on the inside face of the lower tailgate. This I believe was to give a foot / hand hold when the upper side panels were removed.

See extract from the parts list and picture of the 'receiver' on the bulkhead.

The rail is 1 inch diameter galvanised 3/64 wall, 4ft 1/38 inches long, 'squared' at one end to fit into the bulkhead receiver

They are very rare but not difficult to remake!

Richard

diffwhine

That would make more sense. Thank you Richard. Explains why I've never seen one!

Exile

I bought a Lightweight in 1976, which had been cast by the army as BER.

Again no handles at the rear of the tub and no sign of them having been fitted.