It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Wiring in chassis

Started by Bigdog, Sep 28, 2023, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Should I run my new loom inside my chassis as per original or surface, thanks

diffwhine

Best run it inside if you want originality, but its also best to sleeve it better than it was originally. There are a lot of sharp edges in there. There should also be a grommet on the way in and a grommet on the way out.

You can of course run it outside the chassis and plenty do. Land Rover did it themselves on 2012 MY Defender onwards although for some reason decided to run it for the first time ever down the LH chassis rail. Its your call and only an obsessive purist would seek to challenge. The only thing is that if I see a Series harness running outside the chassis it makes me suspicious as it suggests some corners have been cut and therefore what else will I find?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

I made the loom for my S2 as I have done for several series ones.  Ir runs on the outside of the chassis as far as the area next to the fuel tank where there is a multipin connector.  From there the rear loom comes up into the tub behind the seats and divides runs to each side and up the inside of the"B" pillar and through the bulkhead so that it can run inside the capping to the rear lights.  It is all inside flexible conduit of course.  If I need to remove the tub I just need to disconnect the loom.

Peter

Bigdog

Managed to get the wiring loom through my chassis 👍