News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Storing a vehicle in lockup with insurance

Started by Landy62, Aug 09, 2023, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landy62

Wondering is anyone can advise me before phoning insurance companies and being on there for ages telling them my life story! The insurance would be laid up insurance

Has anyone stored a vehicle that is SORN in a locked storage facility fully locked/secured CCTV etc away from home and had it insured for around 20-30k?

If so who was the classic car insurance with and just a ruff figure on cost per year?

Many thanks Tom

Craig T

Adrian Flux did kit car build insurance for me and pretty sure they do laid up insurance as well.

At the time the Kit car build insurance was pretty cheap and you just told them each year how much you had spent on it so far. As I never claimed in the three years they refunded most of the premiums in the first year of road insurance with them.

I think they do something similar for restoration projects as well.

Craig.

Alan Drover

I think Peter Best do laid up insurance too.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

I am going to make the assumption and please correct if not.

The vehicle is of sufficient age to qualify for road tax at nil and does not require an mot.

You are looking to insure.

When I made an enquiry regarding laid up policy thinking it may be cheaper than a fully comp in use on road policy I was stunned to find out that it cost more.

So just make sure the cover suits you and that you are not paying over the odds for a vehicle that is going nowhere.

Landy62

Yes that's correct it's MOT/TAX exempt.

The vehicle needs recommissioning, I would need to put in storage for around a year until I get a proper place to have it

As I mentioned you may be subject to an uplift for placing it on a specific laid up policy rather than a standard one irrespective of the intended usage.

I would enquire as to the quality of the cctv and if it is over recorded if no event.

Also what liability the storage facility has in the event of a mishap and their systems do not do what they have claimed.

The only points an insurer usually makes is postcode kept during the day, peak time usage and parking postcode overnight.

They may have an issue if it is a remote unmanned site, but the constant remote surveillance should go some way towards that.   

autorover1

I had a lot of "Trouble" insuring a vehicle not at my home address, even though it was next door.   Basically it was looked to be a higher risk and  charged appropriately , it would be cheaper to park it in the road outside than on next doors driveway

Did the properties not have the same postcode, being next door to each other?

Insurers do have their peculiarities.

autorover1

jonhutchings

One thing to be wary of. If you don't go for "laid up cover" and the vehicle is a project - i.e not roadworthy - then "normal" insurance may not cover you. Some insurance specifically state that they will only cover roadworthy vehicles irrespective of whether or not it is parked on the public highway. If it is parked on the public highway then it must be roadworthy and insured and tax/moted (if appropriate) anyway.

I feel foul of this some years ago when one of my land rovers was off the road in a garage at my house for a year, and at renewal time I stupidly  filled out the mileage form (it had been on limited mileage cover) with the same mileage as the year before.  This seemed to trigger some clanging bell with the insurer who when asked for an explanation told me that since the vehicle was no longer roadworthy (at the time it had no rear axle fitted so was not going anywhere) my cover had been invalidated. 

I changed insurance companies.

I appreciate that if a vehicle it is a sitting target, with regard to theft, fire etc.

By the same token it has more scope for mayhem out on the roads.

Insurers love to think out every eventuality.  No matter how conscientious the owner tries to be, the chances are that in the event of a claim the policy may not have a clause that relates exactly.   

Univetsal

Can it not be in some way driven on the road? If only once...
And if it's a pile of bits, is its value 20-30k  ???

Landy62

All sorted now thanks for everyone's comments Footman James quoted me for it

Mike T

I used NFU for laid up insurance and was stored up on a local farm. £35 a year but was 3 years ago.

NFU refused to quote me for regular use, despite family being long term customer and me being named driver on other vehicles insured with them.