News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

What have you done with your Series 2 today ?

Started by Wittsend, May 01, 2024, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

I top coated the previous day's undercoat. What a good idea having an extra day to the weekend (UK bank holiday). I took in the space, smells and departure from my usual week time routine and loved the sun, birdsong and relaxation.

I'm a novice when it comes to respectable paint finishes. I'll try some detailer's clay to knock the occasional dust particles off the seat box sides.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Wittsend

Yesterday checked and blew up the LWT tyres ready for the road.
They didn't need much air, just a few psi all round.

But today the driver's rear was flat as a pancake  :shakinghead
2 steps forward, 1 back  :thud

So .... out with my new whizzo electric jack. Works off the cigar lighter on the dash.
Fits under the spring plate on a flat tyre - (also fits under a Ford Fiesta).
Lifted the rear end up quite quickly and popped the spare on. Didn't go anywhere under the vehicle whilst it was in the air.
Not quite a McLaren 2.2 second pit stop.

A "Chinese" device off eBay, didn't go for the cheapest, has a 5 ton rating, with air pump and work light, and it all fits away in a sturdy carrying case.

Ken

New bulkhead arrived today, onward from that !

Craig T

I had that once Alan.
I checked the tyre pressures one day, topped them all up, came back the next day having not moved the car at all and one was flat.
It turned out to be the valve that was sticky / dirty and disturbing it the day before caused it not to seal again when I took the compressor off. A new valve and re-inflated and still good to this day.

Craig.

Wittsend

Thanks, I'll check the valve out.

:cheers-man

Sadly not that  :'(
The valve stem has perished and the air comes out faster than I can pump it in  :shakinghead

TimV

So I went to the tip, blow me another Series 2 there! Didn't get time to go over to say hello.

Then my tin of crinkle paint turned up at home.

Peter Holden

New front bulb holders turned up today.  They are getting a coat of paint before fitting.  Checked and adjusted the front brakes whilst it was up in the air to do the track rod ends.

Peter

diffwhine

Had a visit from London! Oddjob came by to pick up a steering box. Very nice to put a face to the name.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Oddjob

Same here! Thanks very much for all your help.
The box is half in but I've just discovered that the Series 3 box seems to use different mounting bolts to the Series 2  :thud
I'll have a rummage through my spare bolts box tomorrow  :cheers-man

diffwhine

Not today - actually yesterday.
I went to All Wheel Trim and collected a rather nice full length sand canvas tilt with side windows. Nice heavy quality canvas. I'll fit it and see how it all goes, but I was impressed.

I then went over to Allmakes in Abingdon to meet some old cronies there for a brew and a catch up. I was shown their new facility opening in late September. Wow! Anybody who thinks the Land Rover parts business is slowing down is clearly mistaken. It is a vast facility! Really impressive and shows the level of commitment and investment going into this sort of business these days.

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Side/indicator light fittings back in the front wings and working

Peter

Alan Drover

Dog walking and testing the 4wd selection.
On the way home I called at the local auction house to offload stuff for auction and one of the young employees of the custom car business in the next unit asked what on earth was the engine in the Land Rover as he and his mates couldn't believe how quiet it is. I showed him and described how I set it up and he's a fellow "time it by ear" man.
I had the benefit of fully winding down windows. A nice cooling draught in this extraordinary weather.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

andyjb

Visited the government vehicle tax website and taxed it for another 12months.

Peter Holden

A visit to the tip with garden rubbish and the remnants of my 35 year old trailer.
On the way home it seemed to be getting a bit warm, temp gauge reading above normal.  Out with the infra red thermometer.  Top of the radiator matrix was reading 86/87

Peter

Gareth

Fitted new steering joints onto track rod and drag link. Also made a tracking stick out of an old broom handle. It made setting the toe-in easier.

Steers great now!