News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

2a 109 axle brackets for shock absorbers

Started by Oldhamsaints, May 14, 2024, 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldhamsaints

Hi, new member located in Alabama USA.
I have purchased a 1966 (best guess) series 109. I say purchased, it is a chassis (#25402958a) in good condition, a rotted bulkhead and a few body panels. I also have axles from an 88". I believe the front axle will work on the 109 but the rear needs the brackets for the shocks.
Looking for either information on where to purchase said brackets or the dimensions for the brackets so I can fabricate and weld them on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Birdsnest55

Hi, it's not just the shocks that are different, the spring mounts sit further out.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

diffwhine

Would it be simpler to ship an axle casing over to you? May not be a completely crazy thought. If its a standard Rover LWB axle casing, I could dig one out for you.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Oldhamsaints

Oldhamsaints

Birdsnest 55
I am correct in saying the springs sit directly under the shock mount bracket so I would need to weld a bracket and the rectangular plate on the bottom for the spring to sit on?

Birdsnest55

You would need to remove the 88" spring mounts and move them outwards, the shock mounts are in a similar place. Further the 109" takes 11" brakes all round (88" use 10" all round). On the rear I think the 6 threaded holes on the flange are in a different orientation.
Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Craig T

Another thing to be aware of is distorting the axle when welding to it.

The Land Rover axle may look pretty hard to bend but the heat from a weld will do it. I welded some new spring mounts onto a Ford axle once and we couldn't get the halfshafts back in afterwards, it had bent that much. I had to crank the welder up to max, duplicate the welds on the opposite side of the axle then grind them off again in order to return it to shape.

What is wrong with the axle on there? May be worth repairing the original axle and if it needs new damper mounts, make them and weld them to the left over welds of the originals so you don't put too much heat into the main axle casing.

Craig.

Oldhamsaints

I don't have the original axle but I may be able to get my hands on one in a couple of weeks. More to follow. Thanks for the responses.

Adam1958

Maybe try pangolin 4x4 if you get totally stuck.
can't remember what state they are in, but it's the right continent at least. They might do a trade for the parts you have?

Twomokes

Quote from: Adam1958 on May 15, 2024, 05:56 PMMaybe try pangolin 4x4 if you get totally stuck.
can't remember what state they are in, but it's the right continent at least. They might do a trade for the parts you have?
Pangolin are in Springfield Oregon
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.