Bell housing options for a 2.6 conversion and other parts

Started by Bezdonian, Jan 16, 2024, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bezdonian

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jan 27, 2024, 09:30 AMThere is no difference at the flywheel end but the end that bolts to the gearbox is different because the 2a clutch withdrawal mech bolts in at that end.

Land rover changed the layshaft size and fixing method partway through the 2a production so early 2 and late 2a bellhousings and clutch mechs are not the same so ae not interchangeable.

Theoretically you could fit a S1 petrol gearbox onto a 6 cylinder engine.

The whole bellowing issue was discussed on a thread before Christmas when I was deciding which way to go.

Peter

A Series
Thank you for clearing that up. That's quite annoying as I was hoping to keep my original Suffix E box. And given how few 2a 2.6 bell housings are around. It might just be easier to bolt a S3 2.6 bell housing and change the bearings, pinion and layshaft gear.

Calum

All 2a 2.6 bellhousings will be the late layshaft and release mechanism anyway so there's no need to worry unless you planned to fit one to an early box. E suffix box will be the late setup as well, so no worry there.

Bezdonian

Quote from: Calum on Jan 27, 2024, 08:37 PMAll 2a 2.6 bellhousings will be the late layshaft and release mechanism anyway so there's no need to worry unless you planned to fit one to an early box. E suffix box will be the late setup as well, so no worry there.
So would the late 2a 2.6 all synchro bell housing fit my late suffix E box then. Because Peter says it won't. Without modifications anyway.

Peter Holden

I didn't say it wouldn't.  I said early and late are not interchangeable but Calum cleared that up.  All 2.6s are late.  I presume an E suffix is late ie has the larger lay shaft

Peter

Bezdonian

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jan 28, 2024, 05:47 AMI didn't say it wouldn't.  I said early and late are not interchangeable but Calum cleared that up.  All 2.6s are late.  I presume an E suffix is late ie has the larger lay shaft

Peter
Apologies Peter, I clearly miss interpreted what you meant. But it seems to be all cleared up now. I'll get the bell housing and change the clutch mechanism.