News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Lanolin rust treatment stuff

Started by Betsy1969, Sep 03, 2023, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betsy1969

Apologies if I've asked this before and / or if it's been discussed before but ,

Has anyone used this type of product and what did you think ?

Also since I clicked through on a Facebook advert for Lanoguard I now get several adverts for similarly sounding products which I'm pretty sure are scams but just wonder if there are any genuine manufacturers of alternative lanolin based treatments that might be any good / cheaper .

Regards Andy

diffwhine

Lanoguard - excellent stuff and thoroughly recommended. Car smells a bit like an old ewe for a bit, but liveable. I've done two so far without any problems and we have a trial set of chain sunk in the Solent coated in Lanoguard which has been there for the last 2 years as a bit of a trial. Periodically we haul it out and check it. No sign of rust whatsoever.
The only think I have noticed is that some marine wildlife appear to like the taste so I occasionally have to apply a bit more. Much more environmentally friendly than Dinotrol (which I have used and also recommend). Forget things like Waxoyle - waste of space long term.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

I used lanoshield on both the land rover and the camper, not much prep needed.  I think it will need doing g e
A h year but is no great hardship and it smells better than Di itrol and waxoyl

Peter

Kaney

diffwhine.
 I have just recently waxoyled mine hardly any smell after the first day. Did some research on Lanoguard and just found it needs doing annually also why is waxoyl a waste of time as it has normally done 3 years for my previous Land rovers without an issue

I think the wax oil stink is due to the solvent or similar that makes it thin enough for application then evaporates to leave the wax coat alone?

Pal with a wrangler was raving about Lanoguard, he was disbelieving when I told him it originates from sheep fleece grease.

2H

Quote from: 2286 on Sep 06, 2023, 10:17 AMI think the wax oil stink is due to the solvent or similar that makes it thin enough for application then evaporates to leave the wax coat alone?

Pal with a wrangler was raving about Lanoguard, he was disbelieving when I told him it originates from sheep fleece grease.

That's why I have never seen a rusty sheep then.

Quote from: 2H on Sep 06, 2023, 05:30 PM
Quote from: 2286 on Sep 06, 2023, 10:17 AMI think the wax oil stink is due to the solvent or similar that makes it thin enough for application then evaporates to leave the wax coat alone?

That's why I have never seen a rusty sheep then.

No the brown on sheep is typically another product!

Kaney

God help the wine as some of the growers are now using the fleece as weed surpressent looking forward to a glass of English wine in the future :shakinghead

As has been widely reported the cost of shearing is more than a fleece yields unless it is destined for high end goods.

They are now being used in house insulation.

Wool has some incredible properties was used in cycle clothing until synthetics took over, adventure and climbing gear still use it in top end base layers.

We are reminded that nature has some of the best materials no matter how man tries to improve on them.

Wittsend